Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 10:31:21 AM EDT
On the elevation knob of my A2 sight, there is a "Z" between the 6/3 and 4 mark.

What's it for and how do I use it w M193 ammo? M855?

Not mentioned in the manuals I have, nor was it ever mentioned the 4 yrs I was issued one... ;)
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume it is for Zero.

I believe, when you zero your AR/m16 at 25M you move the rear sight up one click then shoot at a 25m target then when it's good you move the rear sight back down to 8/3,6/3 and that is supposed to be a 300M zero.

I don't have it on any of mine either must be a new thing so people don't get confused on how to zero the rifle. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I thought it might be, except it's 2 clicks up past the 6/3 mark, not 1 click. Close enough for govt work? For use w the 36m zero?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#3]
All this time I thought is was for Zorro. [8D]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
[LOLabove]

It says how many clicks to move it on the military 25M target. I thought it was one but maybe it is two. Can anyone confirm?

Maybe your right. Different zero method?

Or is it a 2 meaning 200m?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought it was one but maybe it is two. Can anyone confirm?

View Quote

its one click if you have a sight w/1 MOA adjustments (your wheel will be marked 3/8).

its two clicks if you have a sight w/1/2 MOA adjustments (your wheel will be marked 3/6).

the 3/6 wheels are found on most (maybe all??) removable carry handles

edited to look more pretty
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought it was one but maybe it is two. Can anyone confirm?

View Quote

its one click if you have a sight w/1 MOA adjustments (your wheel will be marked 3/8).

its two clicks if you have a sight w/1/2 MOA adjustments (your wheel will be marked 3/6).

the 3/6 wheels are found on most (maybe all??) removable carry handles

edited to look more pretty
View Quote

Beautiful, Thanks!

And after all that, Troy is correct.

The Z might as well stand for Zorro, cuz the IBZ is much better and you don't need to use the Z.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#8]
O.K., I'll bite...what the heck does "IBZ" stand for?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Improved Battle Zero
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[url=http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw]Improved Battle Zero[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The "Z" was intended by the Army at Ft. Benning to be a "memory aid" for the Soldier to remember where to set the rear sight elevation for 25 meter zeroing.
They also wanted this added to the M16A2 rear sight, but I rejected the idea.  Reason was is that I knew people would confuse the "Z" with where there sights should be set for an actual 300 meter zero, and from some of the questions/comments preceeding, you can see how easy it is to get this mixed up.
The second reason was that if a Soldier would actually remmeber what the Z was for, then he would probably remember the +1 click above 8/3 as his 25 meter zeroing point.
Thirdly, we had already made too many compromises with the Army over the improved M16A2 sights such as not changing the thread pitch on the square front sight post so its clicks would be an even minute instead of a fraction.
Also note that military battle sight zeros (BZO) may have no use or value for civilian type shooting.  For example, the BZO for the 1903 Springfield Rifle was 525 yards because it was based on the trajectory of the round hitting a standing man size target with a simple "no adjustments required" sight setting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Just wondered. Pretty much ignore the whole shebang. I flip to the 0-2 sight, zero at 50 yds, and forget about it. Works for me. ;)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top