Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/20/2004 9:05:21 PM EST
What all do I need? I have solvent and oil but the rest of my cleaning supplies are all for pistols. So what does your AR cleaning kit consist of?

thanks.

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:10:45 PM EST
Can of CRC Brake cleaner
Cleaning rod
brush, jag and patches
long handled Q-tips
dental mirror
rags
Militech (for barrel, bolt and bolt carrier)
Clenzoil (cleaning and rest of the rifle not militech'd)
hand cleaner
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:30:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 10:32:50 PM EST by Blankwaffe98]
A dewey coated cleaning rod for home cleaning...both .22 and .30 cal..(Field/range cleaning an Otis tactical kit.)
A Dewey chamber rod and chamber brushes.The chamber rod also doubles as a pistol cleaning rod.
Dewey bore brushes and jags.
Pro shot bulk cleaning patches.
Sinclair action cleaning tool.
Hoppe's No.9 when needed...and sweets 7.62 for copper.
Firepower FP-10 CLP for normal everyday cleaning and as a lubricant protectant.
Tooth brush or gun cleaning U.S.G.I. style brush.
Q-tips and a couple sharpened chop sticks.

Forgot to add:
A 7/8" diameter round stencil brush for applying the FP-10.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:19:34 PM EST
Nylon Coated Rods
Chamber mop and brush
U.S.G.I. cleaning brush
pointed jag
I have plenty of patches of various sizes
Hoppes No.9..have that

What lubricants/solvents would you reccomend?

Anything else I'll need right away?

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:41:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By wayne53:
Nylon Coated Rods
Chamber mop and brush
U.S.G.I. cleaning brush
pointed jag
I have plenty of patches of various sizes
Hoppes No.9..have that

What lubricants/solvents would you reccomend?

Anything else I'll need right away?

-Tyler

Well you have Hoppe's #9,so I would say get some Sweets 7.62 or Bore Tech Benchrest blend for the copper removal down the road.Those are my favorites.
For a Lube I would highly recommend Firepower FP-10 CLP.Easy to use,affordable,cleans and is an excellent lube and protectant.Email them for a sample and see for yourself.
www.fp10.com
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:22:12 AM EST
Hoppes = 2 days to remove copper, Sweet's 15 min.

You need an oil with rust prevention (lube) FP-10 or Break Free CLP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:28:31 AM EST
Full USGI buttstock kit .
+ 6 qtips.
+ 3 pipe cleaners.
+ a set of foam ear plugs.
+ a lens cleaning cloth.
+ one spare OKO battery.
+1 A2 sight adjustment tool that I need to drill out .
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:18:38 PM EST
I got a USMC book (free)

A set of punches (my pins are in there tight)

pipe cleaners

Dewey Nylon coated rod

Full G.I. cleaning kit

Break Free CLP

Blue Wonder

Dewey brush and jag

more patches

-Tyler

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:58:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By wayne53:
What all do I need? I have solvent and oil but the rest of my cleaning supplies are all for pistols. So what does your AR cleaning kit consist of?

thanks.

-Tyler

I have a home kit, and a few field kits.

The home kit has items for every firearm I expect to clean.

The field kits are built around the USGI cleaning kits mentioned in the training manual. (See the "Manuals & Downloads" section of AR15.com for more information.) My field kits are dedicated to a particular firearm, or have a few extra brushes & patches to work with the firearms used most often.

I've used "Kleen Bore" products (rod sections and brushes) as the foundation of my kits because they're locally available. I purchased an additional rod section to add to each bore cleaning rod assembly, so the fully assembled cleaning rod is longer.
Last I checked, Brownell's sold USGI kits for M16 rifles.

Field Kit:
USGI style general purpose brush (toothbrush)
USGI style cleaning rod sections made by Kleen Bore
USGI style slotted tip rod attachment to hold patches
USGI style bore brush adapter for use with Kleen Bore and other commercial bore brushes
Kleen Bore bore brush for use with intended firearm
USGI M-16 chamber brush (this will fit directly onto rod section without bore brush adapter)
BreakFree-CLP in 0.68 fluid ounce bottle.
A supply of Bore Patches
Nylon Pouch, with alice-clip, to contain the entire kit.

Alternatively, wrap the kit inside a shop rag or towel. Now you have something to wipe your hands with. To protect the kit from water, seal it inside a large Zip-loc baggie.

The home kit contains two cleaning rod assemblies and a greater selection of solvents, lubricants, patches, brushes, pipe cleaners, and specialized tools. Mine fits into a fishing tackle box. I have paper towels, Q-tips, shop rags, a couple of towels, and some old newspapers to protect the work surface.

These are ideas for your consideration. How you spend your money is your choice.

Good luck.
~ Craig
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:15:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 1:30:35 PM EST by ThePrisoner72]
Hoppe's No.9
Hoppes Lubricating Oil
Bore brush, chamber brush, jags
Eezox CLP
USGI 3pc cleaning rod
USGI tooth brush
BoreSnake
Shooter's Choice Bore Cleaner
Patches
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:20:18 PM EST
1. Bottle Hoppes # 9 bore cleaner.

1. Can of aerosol action cleaner. The aforementioned brake cleaner will work.

1. bottle of Brake Free lube(gun oil for an AR-15)

1. Bore snake.

Several different sizes of nylon brushes to clean your barrel lugs, Chamber, and carrier. I use the ones for a 20 GA shot gun for my barrel lugs and one for a 30 cal for my chamber.and carrier.

1. Roll of heavy duty shop towels they look like paper towels but much stronger and better. I cut them with scissors and they work better than patches.

1. Box of long stem Q tips.

1. Pack of cheep picks for getting in the little cracks in the bolt and Carrier.

1. Pair of jewelers pliers removing the pin in the extractor.

Before and after you shoot run the snake through. Do it before shooting to remove and oil left in the barrel and after to knock out all the loose copper and fowling.

Then when you get home soak a small section of the snake with hoppes 9 (after the brush section about 3-6 inches) and pull it through the barrel about three times. Then spray the lugs chamber and carrier with the action cleaner and clean with the nylon brushes. Then wipe them all out and inspect for flowing and repeat till clean. Then spray the action cleaner on the bolt. Then with the Q tips clean the disassembled bolt and the end of the carrier key. Then if you want you can spray the hole lowers insides with the action cleaner wipe off and clean with Q tips and now re-lube everything paying close attention to give an extra drop to the gas rings and inside the carrier where the bolt sits.Finaly put a few drops of oil near the end of the snake (about 3 inches from where it flattens out) and run it through the barrel.
Top Top