Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2003 9:54:32 PM EDT
I want to get one of these for my carbine project but I'm not sure which route to take.  I plan on mounting an aimpoint if that helps.  What are some advantages and disadvantages of each?  
           Thanks,
                Scott
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
RASII advantages:
its secure enough to mount optics or lasers on.. the ras isn't..
it also freefloats the barrel [i]and[/i] is easy to install.. big advantage over lots of freefloat stuff (like freefloat RAS) that needs to be gunsmith-installed..
as for the Aimpoint idea, the little bridge on the RASII is perfect for mounting the Aimpoint..

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have both so short and simple: The RAS 2 is around $30 more and worth it. As mentioned above the RAS 2 free floats the barrel (BIG+) and mounts SOLID to the upper (BIG+). While the top of the M4 RAS is fairly solid, due to the way the bottom rail mounts it leaves a little play side to side. This is very noticeable when using a vertical grip, but it's not horrible. As far as the "hump" being in the way, it really just depends on your sighting system. A traditional scope + hump = problem. An aimpoint or ACOG + hump = no problem. Check with the dealers on the board or in the EE for good deals on both.

Ray
[URL]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=170868[/URL]
This was from a RAS Vs. RAS II post a day or two back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:58:42 AM EDT
[#3]
agree 100%. While there's nothing wrong with the RAS, the RAS 2 is the superior system and easily worth the small added cost.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#5]
So the bottom rail is rock solid on the II?..and it installs without removing anything?  Does it use the Delta ring?  I've yet to inspect one of these in person.  Anyone fit the hump UNDER a LR scope?  (1 med/high ring in front; 1 ring behind?)
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking eye relief would be a problem if you did this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Wes - Do you remove the front handguard cap when you install the RAS II?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Wes, thanks for the explanation.  I was considering a rifle length RASII.  I agree magnified optics aren't necessary on a carbine.  I've never trusted mounting optics anywhere but the upper receiver.  If the RASII is solid enough I might give it a shot with a Loopy on a 20" project I'm planning.

Whoops!  Do they even make one?  Come to think of it I would probably seen some SPR pics like this by now if it was possible...
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Can the RAS II be installed without the help of a gunsmith? does it do away with the delta ring? I am considering one also, and my pre-ban Eagle carbine has the A-2 upper, but  may go with a flat top upper to install the RAS II. What ARMS flip up sight would work with this system?    
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
FlyNavy,

It might be kind of cool, but there’s no rifle length RAS 2.  I believe this is due to the URX .

Cyclone,

Yes, the RAS 2 can be (is) installed without a gunsmith.  It is very easy and only takes a few minutes.  The RAS 2 goes around the delta ring, so yes you keep it.  The ARMS #40 rear sight works fine with the RAS 2.

RAS 2 pictures.
[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=167668[/url]

Ray      
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#13]
RAS2, Aimpoint on the hump, EOTech up front and ACOG behind the hump, best of all the world plus free float capability.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
And if you put 'em all on at the same time you've got triple redundant backup before you even think about going to irons!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you get it on without taking the upper apart?  Do you have to take the barrel off the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
The RAS clamp on to the receiver with the hump which secure the RAS2 onto the receiver rail.  the rear of the upper handguard section slip into the delta ring just as a regular handguard. and tighten the clip inside the handguard just like the RAS.  then the bottom handguard section slip into a rail slot machine to the upper handguard and the rear of the bottom handguard system slip into the delta ring as well. there is a clip inside the lower handguard just like the top handguard which you use the allen screw to tight the handguard against the barrel nut like the SAS RAS handguard upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out this link. It tells about the RASII, and shows some good pictures of it off the carbine.
http://quarterbore.com/kac/kacrasii.html

I thought it had a link to the actual instructions to install it, but I haven't looked at it since I actually bought and installed mine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top