Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2003 5:07:39 PM EDT
I see a lot of pic's with loads of accessories, SIR's, RAS's, lights, lasers, red-dot sights, extended mounts, various grips, stocks....

I like the AR just as it comes from the factory, I like simplicity!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I like em simple and light too but then I cant see what I am shooting at in the dark, fire as accurately or as quickly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
What can I say, I like em' simple too. The most I can/will tolerate are as follows:

SPR-Style: Colt Accurized Rifle with ACOG or Leupold M1 10X40

Carbine: M4gery from Steve at ADCO, with an ACOG at most

Rifle/Service: Plain as it gets. Standard A2 with FA and BL.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Me, too.   Simple.   I currently have only a fixed 4X scope on a stock post-ban A2.    It would be swapped out for a light if I were doing any night work, but that's about as far as I want to take a stock 20" A1 or A2 pattern rifle.

I might add more than one toy to a shorty, though, but not more than two or maybe three, tops.

"Chrome won't get you home."
"The more things you have, the more things you have that can break or fall off."

CJ
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I see a lot of pic's with loads of accessories, SIR's, RAS's, lights, lasers, red-dot sights, extended mounts, various grips, stocks....

View Quote

GOD!  Not ANOTHER "I like 'em simple" post.  Outfit your AR as you like to and stop bitching about how OTHER people set theirs up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you like "plain and simple" you're gonna LOVE the next AR15.com SEBR AR-15 !  
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Other than a new M4 stock and forend grip, my bushy A2 is simple enough, but than again I liked it factory as well.

TG
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
There is nothing wrong with you. In fact there are many completely valid arguments for simplicity in a rifle or any other weapons platform.

However, something that you may never put on your rifle may be the needs on somebody else's rifle. For example, if someone is planning on using their weapon for home defence, I can see the need for a light mounted on the weapon. Actually, IMO, not having a light on a defensive weapon is unsafe. Being able to positively identify a target in darkness is a must for said weapon. The same goes for red dot sights and other optics. They might not be a need, but they have the possibility to make your job both easier and faster.

But, as stated above the more gizmos that you have, the more the possibility that something will not function properly. Batteries can die and light bulbs can burn out.

As you can see there are many arguments both for and against having all kinds of gizmos and do dads attached to a weapon. It all depends on what YOU plan to do with YOUR rifle and what works for YOU. The most important thing about having a firearm is that YOU know how to use it and it fits YOUR needs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
happy, i'm with ya!

i say, give me a SP1 and a 20 round mag and i'll be so damn happy i could burst!

as the saying goes, lights, lasers, and all that fancy tactical stuff will NEVER replace being a good marksman!

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't have a problem in keeping a rifle stock as it came from the factory, as long as that factory was Knights Armament Company! [;D]

Okay, I lied, I would still probably stick a light on it.  I don't see how I could be a good marksman if I couldn't see my target, and I wouldn't want to shoot the wrong one either, no matter how well I could shoot it.  There is a lot of darkness here in Alaska in the winter, all day long.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the plain janes and the decked out ones... to each his own. My bushy is staying plain for now, really only want to add a light to it. we shall see though.

Dagger
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I might add more than one toy to a shorty, though, but not more than two or maybe three, tops.
View Quote

Most folks think my guns are pretty tricked out, and all I have is three additions. A SIR, a light and a ACOG.

"The more things you have, the more things you have that can break or fall off."
View Quote

This is true, but nothing that may fall or break off will impede the rifle from actually working. So even if it does (which is usually pretty doubtful if you get quality gear) your rifle wil still function just as well. However, quality gear rarely breaks, so while those who are disinclined to add accessories are shooting stock rifles, those who upgrade them will be able to shoot longer, further, faster, with more speed, precision and in more environments.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]
A2 iron sights for me.

My gun is plain and post ban.

To each his own except for fake collapsible stocks.

CRC

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#14]
If I [b]had[/b] to get by with just a carbine and a flashlight, I could.

But I dont have to, therefore, my carbine is set up to perform optimally for ME.  

Aint America great? [:D]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a range buddy accuse me of "pimping out" my ARs, but mine are pretty darn simple when you get right down to it:

1) Colt 6601 A2 HBAR with gunsmith action job

2) Colt 6601 A2 HBAR with gunsmith action job, Leupold 3-9x40 w/ARMs mount, Surefire forend, Cherokee cheekpiece, and Harris bipod.

3) Colt 6400c M4 carbine with cleaned up stock action and Ace LE stock. ACOG and Surefire forend are in the works

That seems like a pretty simple list to me. The only other thing I'd like to add are tritium irons.

I think it's great seeing SIRs, RASs, aimers, stocks etc. It's nice to own such a versatile weapon platform. While most of those accessories are more than I need it's nice to know they are available if I want them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#16]
You are not alone. There are 3 types of AR guys in this world:

Those that like a light rifle than handles well

Those that wish they could have a light rifle but have to mount 80 pounds of happy horse sh*t to their weapon for various mission and department reqs

Those who mount 120 pounds of happy horse sh*t to their weapon because it "looks cool"

These latter have defined the term "Gear Queers" because: It's all about how you accessorize, honey...
[flame]

My philosophy is that if you don't HAVE to mount it on your rifle, don't. The only thing you really need is a good light on a defensive carbine. That's it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

GOD!  Not ANOTHER "I like 'em simple" post.  Outfit your AR as you like to and stop bitching about how OTHER people set theirs up.
View Quote

Lighten up dude !! He never stated an opinion about hopped up AR's. Are you such a "gear queer", that you cant wait to jump on someone for liking it "plain jane"?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Gee, and I was beginning to think it was just me.  Other than a Houge grip, mines plain.  I like shooting with open sights too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Lighten up dude !! He never stated an opinion about hopped up AR's. Are you such a "gear queer", that you cant wait to jump on someone for liking it "plain jane"?
View Quote

It's only that I see the same old "I like it simple" post done OVER and OVER and OVER every week.  The arguments get old.  He [i]implied[/i] an opinion that he didn't like any gear added to his AR.  

I've added a light to this AR and that's all I plan to add.  The vertical grip stores an extra set of batteries for the sight.  If this makes me a "gear queer" than so be it.  I'll still out shoot a stock rifle any day with this set up.

[img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS_Q.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, you are conservative, narrow minded, and not very imaginitive. You probably don't have much sex in anything but the missionary position, and even then, you have to pretend not to like it.  You drive a beige Ford of some type, and you like vanilla ice cream and pot roast.  You dress conservatively, so does your dog. And, you misuse the apostrophe...godamnit, it's NOT for denoting plural, even with acronyms!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAH...JUST KIDDING!!!  dude, I'm just raggin' on ya hehe.    Nothing is wrong with you...have 'em as simple as you like...just leave those of us in the "boat anchor" crowd alone to our fun lol...besides, who keeps the good folks like Wes Grant and Steve at ADCO in business..that's right, us gear queers hehe.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes, you are conservative, narrow minded, and not very imaginitive. You probably don't have much sex in anything but the missionary position, and even then, you have to pretend not to like it. You drive a beige Ford of some type, and you like vanilla ice cream and pot roast. You dress conservatively, so does your dog. And, you misuse the apostrophe...godamnit, it's NOT for denoting plural, even with acronyms!
View Quote

What's wrong with vanilla ice cream?

[b]YOU FASCIST!![/b] [:(!][:(!]

[:D]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#22]
It's only that I see the same old "I like it simple" post done OVER and OVER and OVER every week.  The arguments get old.  He [i]implied[/i] an opinion that he didn't like any gear added to his AR.  

I've added a light to this AR and that's all I plan to add.  The vertical grip stores an extra set of batteries for the sight.  If this makes me a "gear queer" than so be it.  I'll still out shoot a stock rifle any day with this set up.
View Quote

[url]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS_Q.jpg[/url]
View Quote

I did a search on this type of topic, found just a couple....you exaggerate!!!![;)]

Nice AR, it's relatively simple...[^]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, you are conservative, narrow minded, and not very imaginitive. You probably don't have much sex in anything but the missionary position, and even then, you have to pretend not to like it.  You drive a beige Ford of some type, and you like vanilla ice cream and pot roast.  You dress conservatively, so does your dog. And, you misuse the apostrophe...godamnit, it's NOT for denoting plural, even with acronyms!
View Quote

Not bad!!!![lol]

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#24]
well, I'm glad you knew I was kidding!

BTW, here's one of my nice simple ARs lol:
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/almostdone.jpg[/img]

I do have ONE simple one...the lighweight CAR...other than a red dot, it's pretty plain jane.  I still can't bring myself to own an A2, though...
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#25]
A home defense AR needs a light because it's a two handed weapon.

A tack driver needs glass because the image of the front post is about 9 feet wide at 200 meters.

As far as dots go, my jury of 1 is still out. I haven't used one enough to talk from experience about aquisition, etc.

I like a simple rifle. Shooting well over iron feels pretty good. You know the old wet finger windage and experience based elevation, Davey Crockett purist thing. Some people probably go overboard with swiss army ARs, but what the heck, that's up to them. Most of the gadgets have functionality that some find useful.

Personally, I keep my bottle opener on my key ring and having one on my rifle would be redundant. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I agree that some accesories are okay, my Bushmaster varminter has a scope, my LW carbine has an Aimpoint, simply mounted on the carry handle.

My hunting rifle that I have used for the past 20yrs is a Marlin lever action, no scope, I shoot with open sights and every year the guys I'm hunting with say "how can you shoot that without a scope" most shots where I hunt are made between 50 and 80 yards, open sights are just fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm with you on this one. I tend to like the plain ole AR's myself. Although some of the tricked out ones look kool.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#28]
the more toys you have......the more that can go wrong.  my rifle is just plain....thats it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Read HappyJack's post again. Can someone please point out to me where he is putting down those who like to add accessories to their AR? All he did was just state his preference, what's the big deal? "He implied an opinion", what the hell does that mean??
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Its always good to maintain one leg in the "minimalist" universe.  You tend to keep your extreme survival skills honed.

If you're stuck on a desert island or in a jungle someday, and have to whittle an AR out of driftwood, or weave a forestock out of palm fronds or ferns, you're all set.  Can you imagine how hungry you'd be if you had to chip off fish bones bit-by-bit until you achieved a decent 1/4 MOA-click sight?

Probably best to rough-it and fabricate a flat-top, so you can eat without waiting for the adobe carry handle to bake in the sun.

Enjoy your plain & simple AR - It is a thing of beauty, same as a "Knight-mare" covered with enough mounting rails to add everything from A-to-Z.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#31]
HappyJack,

I find myself more like you.  I also believe the "to each his own" opinion that has come up here.

I have a straight from the factory "Post Ban" brand spankin' new A2 M4 from Bushmaster.  I'm TOTALLY happy with it!  I actually HATE the H-bar because in my opinion, I believe a light-weight semi AR15 is the epitome of fun.  Just an example of an opinion that may differ from others.

Yesterday, when I was at the range, I was the only one there (sans a few kids with their 22's, bless them) who was shooting at the targets without a scope.  Sure, all I could see through my iron sites was a tiny black circle, but I was there to sight my gun/rifle/weapon in, so that when plinking time came, I could hit that white block of ice from 50-100 yards out.  One more time at the range, and I'm done and sighted in (which to an expert probably sounds sub-par, but I don't mind.)

You're not alone.  There was a thread here before regarding "Simple AR's" and a lot of people responded with pictures & stories.  My personal challenge is to be as accurate as possible with my AR15 looking through nothing but the A2 sights.

Using the coolest optics & scopes & lasers sounds intriguing to me too though!  Like people have been saying:  It's all up to the shooter.

I plan on plinking from now on and find the fun in the challenge looking through my iron sites.  I also don't want my AR15 to look pristine.  I hope it looks thrashed on and used.  It is a brute of a rifle, and I intend on NOT babying it at all.  When we go out, I expect that it will be tossed around, laid on the ground, and treated like a hardcore machine, not something to be treated like it's a fragile egg.  Cleaning and oiling is all that she'll get from me.  

Anthony

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Clean and simple

When the AWB goes away I plan on registering another receiver as an SBR and building one of these:

[img]http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ripper11/arf/423c8843.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ripper11/arf/054b05a3.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ripper11/arf/0631444c.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ripper11/arf/b66ee000.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ripper11/arf/ebee774d.gif[/img]

A1 upper (need the shell deflector, I’m left handed) and Colt 11.5-inch LW 1-7 barrel.

Clean and simple.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Clean and simple

When the AWB goes away I plan on registering another receiver as an SBR...
View Quote

How hard and involved is that? I've always been fond of Colt's R0733 and similar.

Sorry for the hijack.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top