Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2003 7:15:41 PM EDT
Hi Fellas,

I recently installed an ACE ARFX-E (stubby) stock to one of my post ban Armalite lowers.  I then mated the lower to a Bushmaster M4A2 upper.  Fit and finish were satisfactory and everything seemed in order.  Well, I went shooting today and was able to get a little more in depth and detailed with this weapon.

It seems that when I pull the charging handle back to chamber a round, the carrier does not go as far rearward as it should!  In fact, if you were to look through the ejection port while pulling the CH back, the bolt face is visible and takes up at least one-quarter of the ejection port void.  When I pull the CH back on my other AR15s, the bolt is barely noticeable.  

Ammo won't chamber from any mag I tried and the bolt won't stop on an empty magazine

I checked the length of the buffer spring, thinking that CMMG may have sent me a spring that was actually for the ARFX, (which is a longer stock).  I compared buffer springs, tubes and buffers with other carbines I own.  To my surprise, the "problematic" gun's stock parts were the same size or, in fact, shorter (spring) than the latter.  

Anybody ever have a problem like this, specifically with the ACE ARFX stocks?

I tried re-adjusting the stock, replacing the spring and even tried different buffers???

Any help would be appreciated.

Bud  
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Measure the depth of the tube that the buffer rides in. How long is the screw that holds on the butt pad? Check the rear of your buffer for an indentation from the screw.

[img]http://www.aceltdusa.com/info/ACE_Web_AR_prod._Jpeg/AR23%20%20(RP1.0)-SM.jpg[/img]

From the look of the above they include diff length screws for the diff thickness buttpads. You should use the shortest screw that works. That's a really bad design, it's gonna cause them a lot of grief.

[img]http://www.aceltdusa.com/info/ACE_Web_AR_prod._Jpeg/AR18%20%20(CAR%20BUFF_SPRG)-SM.jpg[/img]

I'm assuming that your buffer and spring look like the ones above.

I wouldn't buy parts from a company that doesn't know the difference between "breach" and "breech". Esp a firearms company. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Tweak,

Thank you.  I'll check all the items listed, although, when I look at the back of the tube, I see no hint of the buttpad screw.

Thanks again,

Bud
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top