Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2014 10:15:24 PM EDT
you had a plane jane ar15...lets say a spike le 16" midlength base model, everything but a rear sight, and you had $250 to put into it (you already have plenty of ammo); what do you do?

you want this rifle for the range, the bedside, professional training courses, and you want it light, and accurate to 300 yards.

GO!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sling - $30
Magpul mbus rear - $45
Giessele ssa -$210, can be found for 150-180 on sale
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
KAC 300m rear sight used on Fleabay, a stock with a better cheekweld than the standard, and maybe a few buffers/springs to see if you can make everything as smooth as possible. This is assuming you have a decent trigger pull out of the gate. I have a PSA that has almost no take-up, a crisp break, and no overtravel, so those were my first upgrades. I decided I didn't like the A2 sight so I got a free float rail with flip-ups next.

If the trigger sucks, get the cheapest rear sight you can find(used on the EE, eBay, wherever), and a Geissele trigger. I would suggest the SD3G, but most guys on here will tell you to go with a two-stage trigger.

A sling would also be nice, but by then you're way above the (already blown) budget. Every time I set a budget for myself, I end up spending more just to get exactly what I want, so unless you want to waste money on something you'll switch out in the future, you'll have to choose wisely with $250.

After that, you'll need an optic for when you decide to go long range. Then a bipod. Then a free float rail. Muzzle device. Grip. Weapon light since there's the chance of using it in a home defense situation.

But then you think you might want an AR pistol or SBR for home defense instead. You build that, taking some of the parts from your current 16" Spike's. Maybe you'll decide to go 300BLK. The list goes on, AR upgrades really are a gateway drug.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Mbus rear, pa micro in their mount, g2s, sling(plain GI), and a mag or two if anything left.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd keep it simple... Iron sight, weapon light, and a cheap sling.
Save for optic. Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#6]
B5 buttstock and a SSA-E trigger from Trading Place Pawn for a few bucks more than your budget.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
you had a plane jane ar15...lets say a spike le 16" midlength base model, everything but a rear sight, and you had $250 to put into it (you already have plenty of ammo); what do you do?

you want this rifle for the range, the bedside, professional training courses, and you want it light, and accurate to 300 yards.

GO!
View Quote

I'll take a different angle and say RDS and light first since this rifle will see bedside duty. I presume you have a FSB and the RDS tube can be used as a large ghost ring if the dot goes down, so I'll add a BUIS with the next purchase. You also need to find a way to mount a light since you only have standard hand guards.

My suggestions will put you $11 over budget. Skip lunch today.

Red Dot

And since you don't have a rail

This

And this
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
This is what I would get!
Red Dot Scope Vortex Strike Fire you can get one about 100.00 at PSA
http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/269x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/p/kpc_3679.jpg

Daniel Defense Rear Site and I believe this run about 60.00 bucks.  Either through Daniel Defense, PSA or Midway USA and will co exist with your Strike fire
http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/269x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/a/aab34dfd6a4bd4b05b7c3f4c8bdac8a1.jpg

Love them!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably a Vortex Sparc (2 moa red dot) - $200
MBUS rear - $45

And zero both to 50 yds.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Another for the Geissele SSA and a BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
In order:

Cheapest (real, not Chinese) used M4 carry handle/sight, and chop to rear only $0-20-40
OR Daniel Defense fixed rear $65-70

BFG VCAS 2 point sling $45
BFG UWL front sling mount w/ Push Button Socket $35

Either a Impact Weapons Components TMC light mount $60
OR Midwest Industries A-frame light mount AND a 1" ring $60
Surefire G2X Tactical $70

The Push Button Socket on the UWL adds $10 compared to the UWL w/o the socket, but lets you add a QD point in the future.
And check out BFG's Last Call page for sling options.
And oh yeah, BFG had a deal if you did a gear review. Check that out too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
so here is the full picture, I have a GWACS cav 15 lower, which actually has a surprisingly fantastic trigger for some reason, I noted most of you guys though trigger first of all but I am of the belief that mil-style triggers are the best for HD type, I worry an aftermarket target trigger may be a strike against me if (god forbid) I ever ended up in that kinda situation. any way, I have a PSA 16" middy upper with a FN CHF SS barrel, and I wont have a rear sight, I was thinking I would do a rear sight (was looking at matech maybe changed my mind though) and a free float for now while I work on some money for a scope.
I have been looking at a weaver 1-3 which I could get now, but I wouldn't be able to do a rear sight and free float. I don't want to go with an inexpensive red dot like a vortex now only to want to upgrade later, which from reviews on that sight sounds like what ends up happening to everyone who buys that sight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Sling

UTG Pro FF rail

Spikes Battle Trigger

MBUS
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your free float does none of this. Neither does a cheap scope or red dot. If you want to look fast and cool and impress your friends, then go ahead.

If you want to learn to defend yourself with a rifle, practice to do so, and then hopefully not ever actually have to, then listen to what you asked for. And by that I mean not anyone who suggests a free float, cheap optics, or a super spiffy trigger (which you may benefit from, but is not immediately vital).

Look at rifles used by experienced people who rely on those rifles to keep them not-dead. They have, at a minimum, study, durable, reliable sights; since you don't have the coin to drop on an Eo-Point-COG, don't buy shit. They have a sling; because eventually you either get tired of holding the rifle, or you have to do other things with your hands. They have a simple, durable, reliable white light; because if you can't see and identify what you're shooting at then you shouldn't be shooting at it.

Free floats, 0.5x-1,000x night vision scopes in QD mounts, and 4 ounce triggers all make you look like a bad-ass ninja sniper. They mean shit to the guys outside your bedroom door at 3 in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I definitely agree with the above statement

I may have wanted to mention I have a simple two point sling (just an african carry ready plain as can be no frills cotton web sling), a flashlight(streamlight polytac which I like very much), and again a surprisingly nice mil-style trigger. I have been looking at a sightron s33  and probably a flashlight mount, but, I was thinking a free float now would make sure I know what I am trying to mount the light too. and I figured that and the rear sight get me a rifle that works now and I can add glass when I can afford the best, I wasn't looking at the weaver because of cheapness though, to my understanding it is a fine low power optic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Carry handle rear sight, VCAS sling, save the rest for a quality optic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I would get a Primary arms 2.5X scope and a sling.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I would add in here that anything that makes the rifle more pleasurable, and or enjoyable to shoot makes the rifle more accessible for training with, I would imagine most civilian rifles are used on the range more than anything else, and being such the one you enjoy taking to the range the most will most likely be you best for a serious need, withing reason of course, you may enjoy shooting a pellet gun the most but....that may not do the trick.........but, again talking from the standpoint that I have the things I have, what to do with $250 I simply don't have enough for an optic and this money doesn't need to be saved for that, because when I get some more money I will be getting enough for that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#19]
For the time being, I'd get an rear MBUS and spend the rest on ammo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top