Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2005 3:24:49 AM EDT
Howdy boyz....

I came across a little brown box of 5.56mm.  It has this printed on the front of the box:

RORG
22-03-99
20 RDS
5.56mm
BALL
L2A2

And then the NATO headstamp below that printed on the box.  I checked out one of the rounds and they do have the tungsten penetrator.   Sorry no pix.

Out from the box.

ARCAPTN
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
British

Mike

E.T.A - although possibility it could also be Australian
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Royal Ordnance Factory Radway Green - British
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fellas.  The round itself looks a bit different.  It appears to be more "pointed" than that of our M855 round.  The penetrator is different too.  

I'm assuming the round has ballistics similar to ours?  Is this stuff available in the US?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes it has been available here on several ocassions over the past year or longer.

Mike

E.T.A - and since Teak has mentioned it, yes, some have had problems w/ it cycling
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#6]
OK...I'm an idiot.  I see there is a thread on the Radway Green at the bottom of the page.  For a minute there...I thought I found some super, uber, 5.56mm round.  I should have known better and realized the duty experts here on AR15.com would have the answer.

I'll just go ahead and shoot it up then on our local range to test it for issues in my m4.  I'll post the results in a few days...

Thanks for the info...

ARCAPTN
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Some British 5.56mm was purchased for training use by the Army. A bit underpowered, along with several unknown factors about the stuff (fouling, etc). Will probably run better in a carbine than a rifle. The ammo has had a number of incidents.......Uncle Sam won't be buying more of this stuff.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought the downloaded British 5.56 was old, OLD stuff and that since they upgraded the SA80 they didn't do that anymore.  Is Radway STILL underloading NATO ammunition?  If so, how do they get away with marking it NATO standard?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought the downloaded British 5.56 was old, OLD stuff and that since they upgraded the SA80 they didn't do that anymore.  Is Radway STILL underloading NATO ammunition?  If so, how do they get away with marking it NATO standard?

No they are not underloading it.  It's just a different type of powder.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top