Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:25:55 PM EDT
Hello, I have been shooting alot of moly coated bullets and have quite a few left to shoot.

I am using Hoppes elite, M-Pro 7 Bore gel, and Hoppes No. 9 for my solvents. I am wondering if these will be removing moly-coating from the barrel? I shoot CT BST, Barnes X, BH and Hornady moly coated bullets.

Some of my barrels are chrome lined or plated, some are SS, asome are chromoly. I usually let bore gel or Hoppes elite sok in for about 5-10 mins before scrubbing. I am no expert but they look clean with the use of a light and my dry patches come out clean.

I was thinking if I the products I am using do not remove moly, adding Kroil to cleaning supplies.

Suggestions, opinions, and information all appreciated.

I would like to know why some guys wont dare shoot a moly bullet also??
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:02:05 PM EDT
MEK aka Methyl Ethyl Keytone, removes molly real fast.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:35:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 10:41:34 AM EDT by warren-hpf]
Kroil and JB paste is the classic moly cleanup regement. I don't think any of your other cleaners will effectively remove moly from the barrel. Hoppes elite might, mpro-7 bore gel won't, Hoppes won't.

Here is a good article about moly cleanup (pdf): www.zediker.com/articles/mcc.pdf
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:38:59 AM EDT
If you are continuing to shoot moly, you really don't want to remove it all from the bore - that would mean you'd need 6-12 fouling shots before your zero would be re-established. I shoot moly and my routine bore cleaning (after every firing) is to use two patches wet with Kroil followed by 2 dry patches. Every 500 rounds or so I do a deep cleaning: 1 patch with Hoppes' #9, 1 dry patch, 10 passes with a bronze brush and Sweet's 7.62 allowing 15 minutes to soak, 10 strokes each with 2 patches of JB bore compound, a shot of brake cleaner through the gas tube to remove any JB from the gas port, one patch wet with Kroil, one dry patch, 10 strokes each with 2 patches of Midway Moly Prep, and one dry patch. With either method the first shot is in the group. I use stainless barrels so no corrosion inhibitor is needed, but chromoly barrels would need one such as CLP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:28:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 4:28:46 AM EDT by NvrenufRR]
Thanks for the help guys. First I would like to thank ronemus and warren-hpf for the tips on the removal and acuuracy issues, I would like to thank you all for the reply to the thread.

Top Top