Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2005 1:45:52 PM EDT
I will be headed to the local dump to do some shooting and was wondering what kind of fun stuff you guy's shoot at.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:49:54 PM EDT
that would defiantly be a blast. dirty diapers, toilets, water heaters, sea gulls, rats, i can think of a million things that would be fun to shoot at at the dump.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:51:23 PM EDT
One gallon plastic water bottles, two liter softdrink bottles, pop cans and sometimes we bring bowling pins.

Have fun and be safe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:00:28 PM EDT
I haven't shot at a dump since I was a kid. Have very fond memories of it though. Not sure where I could do it now if I wanted to.

T.V. sets were always the best, especially if you got the first shot. Unless you got a shot at some animal (bird, rat, coyote...).

I must be getting old but it doesn't have the same appeal it once did. The best part for me now would probably be not having to pick up my brass, unless of course you include Tannerite.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:12:21 PM EDT
Since when are you allowed to shoot at the dump?

I never even thought to look into that...
(maybe for good reason!)

But I'm sure it would take you about 2 seconds to find something worth blasting!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:16:00 AM EDT
When shooting at the dump, I shoot at everything except employees, equipment or anything that may present a hazard*like standing water*. Mostly we are shooting rats, tvs and just about anything else that looks cool to shoot at. I shoot only the Winchester 45grn JHP which you can get in the 40 round value pack at Wal Mart. This is a very fast, light weight round which will disintigrate vermon and will remain fairly frangible which will reduce your risk of riccochet.
Due to its thick jacket and low velocity, Wolf seems to be the most prone to deflection or riccochet so keep that in mind and be safe....oh make sure you are current on all your shots and wear boots. I hate stepping on used tampons with my good shoes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:23:42 AM EDT
wow never thoguht of it, never did i think they would let you do that with all the employees and such around working on equipment
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:25:34 AM EDT
Refrigeraters are my favorite--Be sure to check for refugees before shooting
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:34:07 AM EDT
sounds cool!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:47:14 AM EDT
Man, I wish we could that here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:40:50 PM EDT
A lot of small towns will let you, but usually anytime a town/dump gets big enough to keep a full time crew on hand they put a stop to shooting there. If you have connections you might be able to "sneak" in after dark to shoot rats. But even that is iffy anymore.

Dumps were definatly my favorite places to shoot as a kid. Can you say "target rich enviroment"? }:D]

And you don't have to pick up after yourself!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 1:00:13 PM EDT by feral]

Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
A lot of small towns will let you, but usually anytime a town/dump gets big enough to keep a full time crew on hand they put a stop to shooting there. If you have connections you might be able to "sneak" in after dark to shoot rats. But even that is iffy anymore.

Dumps were definatly my favorite places to shoot as a kid. Can you say "target rich enviroment"? }:D]

And you don't have to pick up after yourself!

Yep, rat-shooting at the dump. Definitely brings back some pleasant memories. Dad and I would go out "hunting" at night. Got to stay up late, hang out with Dad AND shoot rats. What could be better for a young boy?

ETA: Oh yeah, IBTM. In Before The Move.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:23:38 PM EDT
Stig.

Stig of the dump....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:36:09 PM EDT
Light bulbs including flourescent tubes....set em up on something..making sure you have a good backstop..
Rats, coons, possums, crows,ravens (in season of course)

Tape targets to the inside of tires and roll them downhill and try to hit the rolling targets (we had pretty
huge quarry/dump to do this in...we also used to do balloons with the wind to our backs and trying to hit
those on the fly was also a nice diversion

Basically - Anything that gives you good feedback (reactive targets)

Can't think of anything else I'd admit to...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:51:32 PM EDT
Here is a Dump Shooting Tip. On the way to the dump pick up some Real Estate signs. They make wonderful target stands. Since those morons never retrieve them from any neighborhood you will be doing everyone a favor. In the fall there are usually a wealth of political signs that are similarly great target stands.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:22:52 AM EDT
When I worked for Food Lion years ago the Budweiser and Busch beer vendors would give me the lifesized images of Dale Earnhart, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, and I forgot the other Nascar drivers cardboard stands once race season was over and I would take them to the local dump and smoke them with my Colt SP-1. I hate Nascar so they were the best things to shoot at besides refrigerators, air conditioning units, and rusty old cars. I also liked going to this hog farm that was down the road from the dump. Needless to say, there were a few large sows with limps.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:27:42 AM EDT
the bulldozers!!!!!........................................sorry
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:24:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SIMPLYDYNAMIC:
the bulldozers!!!!!........................................sorry

LOL

Then you get a new 375lb. roomate named Bubba at the State Pen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:37:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2005 9:39:02 AM EDT by WeeWee]

Originally Posted By loadbearing511:
When I worked for Food Lion years ago the Budweiser and Busch beer vendors would give me the lifesized images of Dale Earnhardt Jr, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, and I forgot the other Nascar drivers cardboard stands once race season was over and I would take them to the local dump and smoke them with my Colt SP-1. I hate Nascar so they were the best things to shoot at besides refrigerators, air conditioning units, and rusty old cars. I also liked going to this hog farm that was down the road from the dump. Needless to say, there were a few large sows with limps.

Are you a native North Carolinan? I thought everyone in NC loved Nascar.
Top Top