Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2014 11:51:18 AM EDT
Met a guy on Armslist who wants to trade his AR build for my R700 AAC-SD .308.

I'm looking for another AR as I never get to the range with my Remington, nor do I want to spend a $1 a bullet.

My issue is, I don't know much about his build. He says it is a LAR skeleton lower, nickel boron bolt carrier, and colt 6940 1x7 barrel.

However, from my very rough understanding the 6940 requires a proprietary barrel nut, the barrel extension and gas tube are also unique to the 6940??
Apparently only the barrel is from the 6940, the rest of the upper he simply describes as "milspec." If so much of the barrel is proprietary to the full 6940 upper, would it be possible to do just the barrel on a stock AR upper without a botch job?

I want to make sure I'm not trading for some hobbled together AR with parts that aren't supposed to fit together jammed into place.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally wouldn't trade a nice gun for a build from someone I don't know.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah me either, you're better off selling the gun for cash, using the cash to build an AR correctly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah me either, you're better off selling the gun for cash, using the cash to build an AR correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Always trust your gut. If you think something seems "off" then it more than likely is.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I think you'd be coming out on the short end on that one.... LAR are ok but nothing special per se.  A 6940 barrel had to bave come from another rifle, and NiB name-brand carriers are $200ish, so unless there is a Geiselle trigger and a UBR stock and nice FF handguard you're better off trading for a complete, name brand rifle of comparable value to your 700.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top