Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 2:37:53 PM EDT
My AR has always ran a little overgassed and I just lived with it since it was reliable. I put an AA kit on there and it bent the op/push rod. Lucky for me the guys over at AA are top notch and decided to hook me up. Anyway, I've got this barrel and it's obviously overgassed and I want to replace it. Is it a total loss? Should I sell it in the EE with full disclosure? What should someone ask for something that is obviously flawed? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:52:21 PM EDT
You can always have it welded and re drilled.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:54:08 PM EDT
adjustable gas block or have ADCO redrill it
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:56:43 PM EDT
ditch the piston and get an adjustable gas block
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:00:10 PM EDT
Is it too short to cut down?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:03:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:04:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By woode:
ditch the piston and get an adjustable gas block

+1

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:15:00 PM EDT
Yeah, it's too short to cut down. It's already 10.5 inches

Adj gas block is one idea but I kind of want to stick w/ the piston. Then again I have a SCAR so what's the point really of having a piston AR, right?

I wasn't sure if I could have it welded up and then have a new gas port done. How reliable is that? I've heard that it's a somewhat temp fix as the gas will erode the welded up spot. Any truth to that? How much does that generally run? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:33:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:00:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigbore:
Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:

I've heard that it's a somewhat temp fix as the gas will erode the welded up spot. Any truth to that?

Gas port erosion is a fact of life, it happens no matter what. How many rounds are through your barrel? Gas port erosion may be your problem.

My guys weld up the port and re drill for $30.

I don't think I have but 3k rounds through my barrel. I just went and looked at the port and it's still nice and clean. I'll probably be shipping my barrel to you guys within the week. You guys got my SCAR barrel today.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:04:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:17:25 PM EDT
I vote drill and tap the gas block you have. With a decent set of shop tools it cost me ten dollars to do. Needed a tap, wire gauge drill bit, and the set screw. Already had loctite. Nothing wrong with sending it to adco but if you are doing mag dumps it will come back, well it will COme back either way.. Nice to be able to adjust it. Also I was told an adjustable gas block slows down erosion because less hot gas is running through the port to erode it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:34:13 PM EDT
Send it in to ADCO and know it will be done right.

Are you also shooting your SBR suppressed? If so, let ADCO know all details and they'll get the gas port size right - this is an area that they really excel in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:38:10 PM EDT
I vote to put this on the correct forum.

It's a discussion of a problem (Troubleshooting) a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) with a piston gun
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:31:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 458winmag:
I vote to put this on the correct forum.

It's a discussion of a problem (Troubleshooting) a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) with a piston gun

go ahead and add suppressor to that list there.
Top Top