Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 9:35:17 AM EDT
I have a BUNCH of fired 5.56 brass. well over 3k probably closer to 5 K, that I had intended to get set up to load my own but with all my projects over the next few months I will not even begin to think about loading 5.56. So does anyone offer a discount on loaded ammo if you give them an exchange of fired cases?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Georgia Arms used to buy fired brass, you could get in touch with them and see if they still buy brass. Or you could place an ad in the EE, price it around $20.00 per 1000, would probably sell fast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Hide it all around your house/ yard   then wait 2 weeks and try to find it all !
Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
.223/5.56 brass prices go outrageously high on Ebay.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably depends on what type of brass ya got their, as some M193 has crimped primers require the use of swagger to remove the crimp......

Mike

ps - btw, nobody familar with reloading brass will want "Federal" brass due to the thin wall
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Selling brass to another shooter is just LOW CLASS!

If a company were to buy it or you sold it for recycle, that's one thing.

I always give my MIL brass to anyone who wants the aggravation of crimped primer pockets.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll take it and put it to good use Email me @ [email protected], maybe we can work out a deal.

Stang,
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a place you can send it and they will clean, trim, deprime, take out crimp and prime with new primer and send back to you ready to load.

http://www.rvow.com/customer%20cases.htm

check them out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I always give my MIL brass to anyone who wants the aggravation of crimped primer pockets.

Any time you have some mil brass yuo don;t want, e-mail or IM me and I'll pay shipping for it.  I would even give you a few extra dollars for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Heck...I'll even take the Federal brass that some of you think so little of.  BTW...do you mean that you believe the Federal AE brass is "crap", or are we also talking the Federal Match brass too?  How about the Federal brass that is loaded in the Premium line of ammo?  Crap too?

dvo
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'll take your next 10 batches.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a BUNCH of fired 5.56 brass. well over 3k probably closer to 5 K, that I had intended to get set up to load my own but with all my projects over the next few months I will not even begin to think about loading 5.56. So does anyone offer a discount on loaded ammo if you give them an exchange of fired cases?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

What are the headstamps?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Heck...I'll even take the Federal brass that some of you think so little of.  BTW...do you mean that you believe the Federal AE brass is "crap", or are we also talking the Federal Match brass too?  How about the Federal brass that is loaded in the Premium line of ammo?  Crap too?

dvo

My personal opinion of their commercial brass is that it is unsuitable for anything AR15/AR10 related.    Specifically, ejected primers in my fire control group and barrel extension caused me to want to take the remaining ammo I had and cram it down the throat of the nearest Federal employee.

I have had nightmares with factory ammo alone in 3 different AR15s(two bushmasters and one JP Enterprises) along with my AR10.    

Reloading was a miserable experience as well with expanded primer pockets to the point that many wouldn't even hold onto a primer, if you jarred the round it would come loose.

I will only touch federal ammo that has a crimped primer pocket now, meaning XM193 and that's it.    Have had run ins with American Eagle, Federal Premium, and Gold Medal.    And the rep that I discussed this problem with was cemented in his position that something must be wrong with my rifles and it could never be the ammo, he was a fucktard.

Headspacing for the rifles was good and I have never experienced ejected primers with other ammo regardless of if it was commercial 223Remington or milspec M193 so that blew dumb dumb's theory about my rifles being the culprit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dvo

My personal opinion of their commercial brass is that it is unsuitable for anything AR15/AR10 related.    Specifically, ejected primers in my fire control group and barrel extension caused me to want to take the remaining ammo I had and cram it down the throat of the nearest Federal employee.

I have had nightmares with factory ammo alone in 3 different AR15s(two bushmasters and one JP Enterprises) along with my AR10.    

Reloading was a miserable experience as well with expanded primer pockets to the point that many wouldn't even hold onto a primer, if you jarred the round it would come loose.

I will only touch federal ammo that has a crimped primer pocket now, meaning XM193 and that's it.    Have had run ins with American Eagle, Federal Premium, and Gold Medal.    And the rep that I discussed this problem with was cemented in his position that something must be wrong with my rifles and it could never be the ammo, he was a fucktard.

Headspacing for the rifles was good and I have never experienced ejected primers with other ammo regardless of if it was commercial 223Remington or milspec M193 so that blew dumb dumb's theory about my rifles being the culprit.

Maybe Federal has screwed the pooch...so to speak.  Not that long ago, Norma and Lapua had the best brass from a uniformity standpoint.  Just ask the benchrest crowd.  Federal was third amd WW and Rem brought up the (distant) rear.  If you are loading to 5.56 spec pressure in chambers that are a bit big on the SAAMI spec size, loose primer pockets after a few loads are quite possible.  Maybe probable.  In highpower where an alibi can be called, this is merely an inconvenience.  For defensive purposes...well, not good.

I still want to see how Federal has "dropped the ball".  They used to make the best factory ammo of anyone...bar none.  And...send me your used Federal brass.  I'll pay postage.   Respectfully submitted...

dvo
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my no shitin/foolin reason for dropping federal.

I went to the range one day with a box of 168grn Gold Medal to test in my AR10.

5 shots fired and 3 primers were ejected into either the fire control group or the barrel extension.

Getting a bit pissed I decided to fire the rest of the 2nd magazine I had, I fired one shot from it and on the next shot I went to fire I heard a "click".

I ejected the round wondering what the hell just happened, dropped the magazine, and there sitting on the bench towel was a live primer.    Looking at the live round I ejected, there sat a loaded round missing said primer.

The jarring motion of the bolt stripping the round from the magazine was enough to jar the primer loose from the cartridge.

That doesn't even touch on my past experiences with trying to reload said Federal craptactical ammo that was ONCE FIRED factory brass that refused to take hold of a primer after having expanded too much to be worth a damned after just one firing at Federal's commercial pressure level.

I won't touch it, it's crap in my experience and I know it's still out there doing it in other people's ARs because I find the occasional Federal brass without primers when I'm at the range.   Maybe some of it was reloaded but based on my experience I'm betting it's factory Federal being a thorn in the shooter's side.

For a bolt action, it might be fine for some(others out there won't even touch it for a bolt action anymore).

Best experiences I have had with brass for purposes of reloading is Winchester.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Uglygun:

OK.  I haven't shot or reloaded that much in about 5 years.  Bolt guns are my thing and they are a different animal from gas guns.  So far...only LC brass reloads have been run though my AR's and Mini's.  Your experience with Federal brass (and factory) is a sorry thing.  Sorry to hear about this.  So...should we shun Federal AE 55 and 62 gr,. FMJ for practice and plinking?  Geez I hate it when something comes along to rock family, God and Federal...  My first .3" group came with Federal Classic in the .222 Rem.

dvo    
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#16]
If I had a bolt gun in 223Remington or 308Winchester I'd probably get Federal Gold Medal a try again but would only rely on it in the bolt guns.

I have shunned commercial Federal for going on 5 years after my experiences, it could be a bit better than back when I had my multiple run ins but I'm still skeptical based upon still seeing occasional primerless federal casings at the range(unless it's old stock of similar lot/production to the years I had problems).

For reloading purposes, especially for semiautos, I would avoid federal brass.

For commercial loadings, some may have better luck than me while others may have similar results.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got about 7000 once-fired Lake City brass sitting in my garage.  '00-'02 headstamp I believe.  I taught a few classes and had the students collect it for a buddy of mine, but he doesn't want it now.

It's impressive to look at, but I don't need it.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've got about 7000 once-fired Lake City brass sitting in my garage.  '00-'02 headstamp I believe.  I taught a few classes and had the students collect it for a buddy of mine, but he doesn't want it now.

e-mail me at [email protected] and I will take some off your hands!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#19]
As well document by Troy, Federal brass is very thin walled in the web area and should never be reloaded more than one time, (especially if your running hot loads). Up-chucking primers is common with this brand of brass especially when reloaded more than one time.

I'll look to see if I can find that old thread.....

Mike

ETA - here it is: archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=9&t=316512, I highly suggest reviewing this thread IF your of a mind to reload Federal brass.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Wind chimes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#21]
When selling an old car, throw the brass all around on the floor and trunk area. Tell the prospective buyers that it was once an ubertacticool SSDG patrol vehicle used to patrol NASA's proving grounds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Sell it on the EE for $20/thousand + shipping. It will go fast.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is a pic of the brass I have.  I am currently communicating with a couple of guys to see how much brass they want.  I only ask for the price of actual shipping.  I will post back if there is any more brass left for whomever would like some.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Here is a pic of the brass I have.  I am currently communicating with a couple of guys to see how much brass they want.  I only ask for the price of actual shipping.  I will post back if there is any more brass left for whomever would like some.

i2.tinypic.com/qohk5y.jpg
i2.tinypic.com/qohohz.jpg

I just realized I'm a brass whore. I sit here with ~10K once fired LC and WCC empties and the first thing that popped into my head was, "Price of shipping? I'll take all I can get!" I feel so dirty.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Got any .45 brass?  I'll take it if you'r egiving any of it away.

Don't forget about the large USPS Flat rate box.  It'll cost you about $10 to ship/insure whatever fits in the box to anywhere in the US.  Sometimes it's cheaper than UPS/FedEx option, but not always.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Keep on shooting and fill up a swimming pool. Then, go for a swim and post pics!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#27]
The person who sent me an IM, telling me they sent me an email and hoping I got it, please send me another IM.  I never got an email from you and your IM was not saved.

Confusing??  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If I had a bolt gun in 223Remington or 308Winchester I'd probably get Federal Gold Medal a try again but would only rely on it in the bolt guns.

I have shunned commercial Federal for going on 5 years after my experiences, it could be a bit better than back when I had my multiple run ins but I'm still skeptical based upon still seeing occasional primerless federal casings at the range(unless it's old stock of similar lot/production to the years I had problems).

For reloading purposes, especially for semiautos, I would avoid federal brass.

For commercial loadings, some may have better luck than me while others may have similar results.

i've shot a couple thousand rounds of federal GMM  through my savage model 10.   never had a problem.    I have never shot it through my m1a though.   i've only shot blackhills
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top