Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:51:11 PM EDT
I'm looking to purchase a new AR-15....I would like a complete flat top, and have been considering Double Star since they are only 45 minutes away. But, if someone would like to sway me, please do. Or if you can sway me to build, i'm all ears. I want a good quad rail system, and I will be mounting a EO Tech. Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Rra or spikes for me. Really anyone you choose will be fine unless your match shooting
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Put the money into the upper (like a Bravo company). Any lower (other than a plumb crazy) will do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Palmetto state armory has a CHF chromelined barreled carbine kit for $519 plus a $75 to $100 lower is a top quality tested parts rifle for $625 on the high end and $600 on the low end.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like my RRA LAR15. It just so happens that it wears an EOTech XPS2-0 on a GG&G quick release mount and is co witnessed with my BUIS. Fun set up that is accurate and reliable. RRA makes a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Doublestar lower mated to CMMG upper.  It has worked well for me so far
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, since you didn't give a whole lot of info on what exactly you're looking for (other than a quad rail) or how much you want to spend, I'm going to suggest a Noveske Recce.  Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:10:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I do not mean to offend anyone but I would not buy a RRA when you can spend the same money (around 1k) and get a Colt 6920.  I don't think there is anything wrong with RRA (I have their LPK and love it) and I am not a fanboy of Colt but you really can't beat the 6920 for that price.  If you want to spend more money I urge you to look at the Larue Tactical's PredatAR.  It is a little more (1.5K), but it is extremely lightweight, coming in at 6.25" for the 16" rifle.  I am personally a fan of Noveske but you will pay big for them.  If you want a tack driver Noveske is hard to beat, from my personal experience.  I have no first hand experience w.PSA but going from the majority of people on here I would say go with Palmetto State Armory, if you want a budget build.  Whatever you choose, goodluck and enjoy!!

Also, I would not go with a brand just because they are local if their products are not what I wanted to begin with.  If you decide not to buy a complete rifle I strongly urge you to build.  I bulit my first AR and I promise you that you will cherrish you rifle much more.  Building my AR and searching for all the parts was the best part.  Instead of getting one awesome package in the mail I got a bunch of little ones.  It was very exciting to get all the parts in the mail.  I say BUILD!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of great deals out there, lots of options...best advice I can give you is to spend a month or two doing some research online, be honest with yourself about what you'll use the rifle for, and don't get in a huge hurry.

Here would be my short list of stuff to look at...

Noveske - Arguably the best barrels on the market, great reputation.  Definitely worth a look, particularly if you're after a precision rig.

Larue Tactical PredatAR and OBR - Another one worth a look for precision rifles (stainless barrels). Both are a great value for the money, also great quality

Bravo Company - Really good stuff, lots of choices in both chrome lined and stainless.  Definitely worth a look.

Rainier Arms RUC - Great value/quality...can't do better for a lightweight chrome lined barreled rig..I just bought one.

Daniel Defense - Reasonably priced, great quality, definitely worth a look if you're looking for something with a chrome lined barrel.

Spikes Tactical - Good stuff, but can be a bit of a wait to get them (means they're popular!).  Seems to get good reviews.

Gotta mention PSA - Lots of people saying good things about them.  I'm not sold (yet) and I've never held one, but they seem to be a great value.  If I were to try one, I'd go for the ones with FN made barrels.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#9]
RRA are nice rifles..One guy said you can buy the Colt 6920 for about the same price..My RR brand new and bought locally without any FFL transfer crap and shipping was right at 695.00 out the door the same day,lower and upper bought seperatley but at the same merchant...I really do not think that you can buy a Colt at anywhere near that price out the door...The Colt will also not do anything any more spectaculer than the RR..You load it it goes boom everytime and they are very accurate.....There are other good deals in the 700.00 range too and you may want to consider them as suggested but with the Colt you are just paying a premium for a old name..
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lots of great deals out there, lots of options...best advice I can give you is to spend a month or two doing some research online, be honest with yourself about what you'll use the rifle for, and don't get in a huge hurry.

Here would be my short list of stuff to look at...

Noveske - Arguably the best barrels on the market, great reputation.  Definitely worth a look, particularly if you're after a precision rig.

Larue Tactical PredatAR and OBR - Another one worth a look for precision rifles (stainless barrels). Both are a great value for the money, also great quality

Bravo Company - Really good stuff, lots of choices in both chrome lined and stainless.  Definitely worth a look.

Rainier Arms RUC - Great value/quality...can't do better for a lightweight chrome lined barreled rig..I just bought one.

Daniel Defense - Reasonably priced, great quality, definitely worth a look if you're looking for something with a chrome lined barrel.

Spikes Tactical - Good stuff, but can be a bit of a wait to get them (means they're popular!).  Seems to get good reviews.

Gotta mention PSA - Lots of people saying good things about them.  I'm not sold (yet) and I've never held one, but they seem to be a great value.  If I were to try one, I'd go for the ones with FN made barrels.

This would be my primary list also..First you have to determine your budget and then define the primary use of the rifle. Those two factors will help narrow down your options. The only other Manufacturers that I would add to this list would be.

KAC
LMT
Colt
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I would look at the offereings from Colt, DD, BCM, Spikes, KAC, LaRue, and Noveske.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top