Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2003 11:55:41 AM EDT
I recently purchased some 30 rd okay's with heavy finish wear.  I was planning on getting some perma-silk, some green followers and springs if they need them.

Here's the deal.  I don't know what to replace and what is salvagable.  So i have a few questions about that.

1.  Why do people replace the floorplates?  What is wrong with the originals... with the original manufacture's stamp to boot??  I just don't see how floorplate could "wear out" other than breaking the mounting areas.

2.  How do you know if the mag spring is worn too much.  It seems silly to me to completly replace the spring if it could function fine for years.  Is is just a trial factor to figure out if the spring is okay, or is there a point it would be best to switch out regardless.

I would appreciate any help in this area.  Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Gundraw

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1.  Why do people replace the floorplates?  What is wrong with the originals... with the original manufacture's stamp to boot??  I just don't see how floorplate could "wear out" other than breaking the mounting areas.

View Quote

I have refinished mags and it is still a mystery to me why the floorplate would need to be replaced.  How does one wear out a floorplate?  I think it is in the refinish kits if there is an obvious problem ie. badly dented.

If they're range mags, refinish the bodies and only replace the springs if you have a problem.  If the mags are for SHTF, then replace them outright and you won't have to worry.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I can see replacing black followers with green if it makes you feel better, but there's no sense replacing the floorplates or springs if they are servicable.  It would never hurt to have extras hand, but I've never seen anyone break a floorplate or a follower.  I'm sure someone has...  I do keep my old followers if I bother replacing black ones for green.  I replaced the flimsy followers on my brit steel mags with black USGI ones.  They are my range mags and they run 100%.

2.  If the mag isn't working, that may be a good idication that the spring is weak.  If they are running fine, don't worry about them.  (see #1)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen floorplates that are seriously deformed. I have a few mags with such deformed floorplates, as a matter of fact.   Doesn't hurt their function as far as I can tell, though.

I don't replace the springs on range mags, but I do restretch and then de-twist them.

I do swap out black followers for green.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
That's what I thought.  I noticed they had those kits with the perma silk, followers, floorplates and springs for like 95 bucks.  Instantly I KNEW there was no reason to buy new springs for all the mags, and the floorplates just seemed like extra uneeded parts.

So I just wrote and ordered enough "green" followers for all the mags, 5 new springs just in case any seriously need it (which I would highly doubt) and some permasilk.  I mean, the bottom line with a mag how reliably it feeds.  If it feeds fine, a new spring could only jeopardize that, why bother.  Right on, if it's ain't broke, don't fix it, especially for the kind of money springs are!

Thanks for the insight everyone
Gundraw
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top