Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2006 4:58:12 PM EDT
I am in need of a nice tactical flashlight. I only have mag right now. Streamline or Surefire are the only ones I am aware of and have no idea of how to firgure what is bright and what isnt by the lumens. I appreciate all the help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
it's hard to tell you what kind of flashlight to buy without knowing what you will be using it for but just do as what was said above and contact Calvin at BrightFlashlights.  Just tell him what you want it for and he will give you the best options along with pretty much the best price you will find along with great service and extremely fast shipping.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 4:09:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
To save you a lot of time I will say just email Calvin at Brightflashlights.com and get his input on what you are looking for. Great service, excellent prices and he stocks or can get damned near anything you could want. For EDC I like the E2 series from SureFire but the old standby C2 is also hard to beat.

www.brightflashlights.com/

+1

Calvin is a great seller.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a bunch of surefires
if you want something you can carry everyday
you MUST get a surefire A2
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#6]
What are the ranges of these? I am used to mag lights I have one led light that is "ok" but I would like something much brighter. I know led's can be real bright. I guess you can say I will need one for within 100 ft or less. But as I said before I dont know anything about these.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What are the ranges of these? I am used to mag lights I have one led light that is "ok" but I would like something much brighter. I know led's can be real bright. I guess you can say I will need one for within 100 ft or less. But as I said before I dont know anything about these.

Go straight to the light source;  (that sounded cheesy didnt it) Call Calvin and he will help you out in deciding what light is best for you.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Talk to Calvin and get a Surefire.  I tried Pentagon, but they just don't do it for me.  I think I have a half dozen different Surefire lights and I want twice as many.  

For a carry light, I like the E2e (but the A2 is the shit).  If general purpose, just get a G2.  I like them a lot better than the 6P.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The first place to start is to define the crange you need?  Do you need this for CQB (under 25 yds.) only, indoor/outdoor out to 50-60 yds. or extended ranges out to 75-100-150+ yds.?  Once we know that it will be easier to narrow the focus and detail your options.

+1 On Calvin at BrightFlashlights...
He responds quickly to emails, answers every question patiently and has great customer service.
My .02 on which brand of light is Pentagon, they are great lights especially at the price.
TO
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Between my Surefire L-5 and my Pentagon L2 it's tough to say which I like better.  The Pentagon was half as much so that's a plus.  Really solid lights both.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#11]
What about in a standard size building, or room, will they light them up like in the whole room or just a small portion?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Streamlight Stinger and an old Surefire 9z. The Surefire is more "tactical" than my Streamlight. Surefire fits better in my hand, is a little more bright (110 lumens) and is smaller. The Stinger is rechargable and is plenty bright. The Stinger is set up with with light switch on the top of the light, right under the bezel. The 9z has the light switch on the tail cap. I like the 9z more than the Stinger. With that said: I carry the Stinger on my work belt. Why....

Even though Surefire has made 123A batteries affordable and obtainable, it's still a lot easier to slap my flashlight in a charger at the house or in the car. I do not have to carry extra batteries with me and the light is bright egnough. Another disadvantage with the 9z, or any Surefire light, you do not get much warning before your batteries run out. Either you light works at full capacity or it does not work at all.

If your looking for an everyday flashlight, get the Stinger. If you looking for an occasional, super bright, bad ass light, then get a surefire.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Cool deal now I am learning something. Ok, how about for varmit hunting at night? How do they stand up? As far as lighting up a room, that sounds good.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Everyone is not kidding when they say to go to Calvin.  He has helped me in choosing a light for my AR and educated me on some of the lights in general.

One of the previous posters mentioned Surefire L5 and Pentagon L2.  I opted for the Pentagon L2 because it was $50 cheaper and more powerful downrange than the Surefire L5.  Or maybe it was the Surefire L4.  Not sure as I have mental dylexia going on rightnow.    

If you compare Surefire versus Pentagon model for model you will find that they are evenly matched.  Both are built like a tank.  I feel that Surefire has more better lights and they are certainly more expensive.  But more expensive is not always better either in comparison to some of the models.  And there are those who swear by one over the other and their minds can never be changed.  I feel that way about Streamlight but I guess they have one or two good lights.  Good luck!

Daryn
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top