Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2007 1:18:10 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone knows...for sure?

Tack
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
All magazines with a capacity of greater than ten rounds must be made prior to September of 1994 to be shipped to New York if they are for civilian use.  Some magazines are stamped with a date code and some are not.  Some magazines are stamped for LE or Military use and some are not.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to clarify regarding Hawaii....we are NOT entirely prohibited from purchasing/receiving standard (high) capacity magazines.   Us LEOs can purchase/receive standard capacity mags provided we furnish proof of occupation/creds.   The majority of companies I have dealt with have shipped to me/dept. based on the above requirements.  

Just to give you non-Hawaii people an idea of what us LEOs are paying for for standard capacity mags:

AR15 20/30 rds mags = $25+
Glock mags = $25+

With these prices it makes total sense to order mags.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
City of DENVER (not state) has banned any magazine over 21 rounds.  Not quite the Kalifornia I left 5 years ago, but pretty damn close!
Good news is it's not actively enforced.

State wide, no such laws, in fact passed a "Shall Issue" CCW law in 2005...as a resident of Denver, it really pissed the Denver Police off when I demanded my CCW.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#5]
In Maryland you can't purchase, sell or transfer magazines above 20 round capacity.  High capactity mags over 20 rounds are legal to posess.  For example, I could buy some 30 round mags in DE and bring them into MD.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Clarification about those of us here in MD-istan.  We can buy all we want, just can't take delivery in state.

Meaning, I can order a truck load of 30 round magazines, send them to my parents' place out of state, go get them and bring them home.  This is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In Maryland you can't purchase, sell or transfer magazines above 20 round capacity.  High capactity mags over 20 rounds are legal to posess.  For example, I could buy some 30 round mags in DE and bring them into MD.
Anyone know if this same thing is true for NY (state, not city)?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The Ohio information is not correct.  As of this year, Ohio passed a state wide preemption law and high caps are legal in the entire state.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
It works this way in California for LEO's as well.

Quoted:
Just to clarify regarding Hawaii....we are NOT entirely prohibited from purchasing/receiving standard (high) capacity magazines.   Us LEOs can purchase/receive standard capacity mags provided we furnish proof of occupation/creds.   The majority of companies I have dealt with have shipped to me/dept. based on the above requirements.  

Just to give you non-Hawaii people an idea of what us LEOs are paying for for standard capacity mags:

AR15 20/30 rds mags = $25+
Glock mags = $25+

With these prices it makes total sense to order mags.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone know if this same thing is true for NY (state, not city)?

As a non LEO/Mil, you can buy and sell pre 1994 hi-cap magazines within and outside of NYS.  Those are the ones that are not marked for LEO/mil use only or not dated past 9/1994 or not marked at all.  Most dealers don't want the liability but non dealers are more likely to ship into NYS. Aside from NYC, I think Albany has some kind of ban as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
CENTERFIRE SYSTEMS CANNOT SELL MAGAZINES, CLIPS, OR DRUMS OVER 10 ROUNDS TO RESIDENTS WITHOUT A
HI-CAP MAG PERMIT OF THE FOLLOWING CITIES & STATES:
Aurora, Ill.; California; Chicago, Ill.; Cincinnati, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio; Cook County, Ill.; Connecticut; Hawaii; Maryland*; Massachusetts; New Jersey; South Bend, Ind.; Toledo, Ohio

SHOTGUN MAGS OVER 5 ROUNDS cannot be sold to residents of Cincinnati, Ohio.

MAGS OF ANY KIND CANNOT BE SOLD TO RESIDENTS OF NEW YORK.

*NOTE: Pursuant to Subtitle 3, Section 4-305 B, in the "B.A.T.F.E. State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms" 25th Edition, Page 189, Hi-Cap Mags
UP TO, BUT NOT EXCEEDING 20 ROUNDS, can now be sold to Maryland residents. 08/17/05

www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=294

Pre bans are fine to NY but most dealers just won;t ship anything ot NY anymore

Funny that they won't ship to CT, there's no magazine ban of any kind here
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Ohio information is not correct.  As of this year, Ohio passed a state wide preemption law and high caps are legal in the entire state.

x2.  There is no more high cap limit.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

x2.  There is no more high cap limit.  

Well.  Kinda.

Ohio state law reads, that any MACHINE GUN is defined as a weapon that can fire more than 31 rounds without reloading.

Now, that doesn't ban the sale or possession of 31+ round magazines, BUT it DOES make the weapon the 31+ round magazine goes into a "machine gun."

Stick the 33 round glock mag in a glock 17 = "machine gun"

Stick a Beta mag into an AR15 = "machine gun"
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top