Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 8:12:18 AM EDT
I want to stretch a section of rubber innertube over my alum freefloat tube - can anyone recommend the size tube I need?  I was thinking about one for a mountain bicycle
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure but I've never heard of this mod, I'd be worried about maybe the rubber melting after a lot of sustained fire.

Just my .02 cents

Not sure if it is an issue at all
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I did it to my aluminum tube. It seemed to be fine. It protected the aluminum from scratching, and is quite comfy too. I never had a problem with the heat. But I never dumped mags through the gun either.

I used standard mountain bike tube 1.75-1.95" if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen it done once before a couple of years ago, and the guy said he had run as many as two 30 round mags thru his with no melting; and besides I mainly use this AR for target/varmint work.  Its basically a poormans Hogue Foreend freefloat tube.

thanks ridge
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
From another thread..the hogue guard can apparently melt under heavy use.  This came from a Hogue rep. I think.  Can't find the thread but anyway.  Since your not blowin' through mags it shouldnt be a problem but possible.  I would say mountain tube as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Righto Horik, I remember reading that post also. I believe it was in reference to putting a Hogue on a full auto, or major rapid fire.

For normal applications it will work just fine as it did for me.

Found it:

Originally posted by Tony_k (full-auto God [:)]):

Had one, loved the feel, it's a great grip when your hands are sweaty.

The rubber is a very thin layer so it does not insulate against barrel heat as well as, say, a double-shielded M4. Hogue tech folks also told me they DO NOT recommend its use with full-autos or suppressed weapons -- they WILL melt the rubber. They also said they have had cases of the rubber starting to melt under heavy, rapid semi fire.

Since all my uppers fell in their "will melt" category, I sold mine before it has a chance to melt down.

YMMV.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
mayes,
Brownells carries a sleeve that is hard rubber that slides right over the tube with a snug fit and I'm sure is designed not to melt, call them or I can get the part# for you let me know. I have a dubble bicycle tube on  my mid-length ff tube and it was a bitch putting it on and took me a couple of hours and is very comfortable . Will it melt during 'sustained rapid fire' whatever that is ? I like to let it loose once in a while but 'sustained rapid fire' like in a cq battle 200-300 rounds or more in 5-10 minutes or less ?? I couldn't tell you if it will melt I have never been in a fire fight and does not sound like something I would recommend if I could relate to it . I am aware several of you all out there have been in a cq battle , not to poke fun. Most barrels get very hot after a magazine is exhausted with a 3 count between shots ,but even so the innertube which was from a kid's dirt bike type of tire did not melt and I tried .  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top