Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 7/26/2004 8:15:23 AM EST
None of the needlenose pliers that I own are skinny enough to take the front sight post as low as I need it. Besides, I'd like a lightweight tool to carry with the rifle.

Brett (from Troy Ind.) said an AK47 style front sight post tool works well. I've done a little research (google) on this, but it looks like the $24 tools are for both front and rear sight.

I believe I only need the "T" handled tool for the AK front sight (and not the clamp used to drift the AK rear sights).

Does anyone know if that is available separately, and if so where?

TIA

Corey

PS If anyone has any other ideas re: what kind of tool I could be using (and storing in a TD vertical grip) I'd appreciate some advice. These are really nice sights, but I'm kind'a bummed that I have to carry a tool -- I like things like this to be amenable to field expeidient tools, of which I haven't been able to think of one to adjust the Troy front sight post.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:32:10 AM EST
Here's one for you... You just have to work a deal on shipping & handling...

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=TOOL0301&back=yes&dept=60&last=60
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:39:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By HKPDW:
Here's one for you... You just have to work a deal on shipping & handling...

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=TOOL0301&back=yes&dept=60&last=60

Great suggestion!

My only thought is whether the oval "grip" would prevent it front turning between the upright ears of the Troy sight.

Corey
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:50:49 AM EST
Dremel
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:54:46 AM EST
I think Wes had stated that he has used a crushed 5.56 case to adjust those.

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:54:48 AM EST

Dremel

Yup.

That's what I was thinking.

Corey
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:00:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By giffmann:
I think Wes had stated that he has used a crushed 5.56 case to adjust those.

I actually thought of that at the range Saturday. I crushed the neck of a 5.56 mm and it fit perfectly. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good enough grip on the case to get it to turn (my front sight post is really tight).

So I taped 4 5.56 cases to my target, went back 50 yards and took 4 shots. I'm embarassed to say that I only got a good center hit on the base of the case once. This allowed me to use stick a punch through the hole (like a "T" handle) to get leverage in cranking the case. My front sight post was still too tight and ended up stretching the case neck round again.

Oh well. It was a good idea and I gave it the old college try.

Maybe I need to lube the threads on my front sight post? I have never dealt with a front sight post like this so I don't want it too loose (though too tight isn't much better when your rifle is shooting 1' low at 50 yards).

Corey
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 9:13:13 AM EST
I have this tool coming in from Tapco:

SKS / AK FRONT SIGHT ELEVATION TOOL
(Click Here for larger view)

Our Price: $4.99

E-mail this item to a friend

Item#: TOOL0301

This tool allows you to adjust the front sight elevation on either the AK or SKS rifle. Plastic body with a metal insert. Key chain style to allow it to be kept with our other handy tools. A must have for the AK/SKS shooter. This tool will not work on the Yugo.

Hope it works! S&H was $8 on the part....

Corey
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 9:42:05 AM EST
Yeah, you gotta work on the shipping cost with those people, otherwise you'll end up getting scr*wed on the shipping.

I was gonna suggest the "crushed casing" method, however, you have to wrap some sticky tape around the base to get a grip on it....

Still, I'm sure the Tapco Adjuster will work fine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 9:55:21 AM EST

I was gonna suggest the "crushed casing" method, however, you have to wrap some sticky tape around the base to get a grip on it....

This method would have worked if it weren't so darn hard to turn the front sight post. The rectangular base of the front sight post simply turned the 5.56mm case neck round again.

If the front sight post turned a little easier (or the 5.56 case neck held the crushed shape better) it would be a great field expedient tool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:26:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 11:07:36 AM EST by Corey]
The Tapco "blue key" AK47 type front sight tool wasn't up to turning the Troy front sight (that bugger is in there tight). A portion of the brass insert in the key broke off.

I now have the following on order:

SKS/AK WINDAGE & ELEVATION SIGHT TOOL
(Click Here for larger view)

Our Price: $5.99
Was: $8.99
You Save: $3.00
(That's over 33% OFF!)

E-mail this item to a friend

Item#: TOOL0302

EDITED to note that Tapco gave me a decent break on their normal S&H fee because the previous tool broke. So they were really nice about things.
Top Top