Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:00:19 PM EDT
I have an ARMS SIR and a Knights RAS.I'm looking to get another one for my other AR.What do you guys think I should get.Pics of you'r rails would be great!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my Daniel defense rail.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1  I have one on my issued DMR, and now it will be my next FF.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I vote for Midwest Industries.  I own an ARMS SIR and an M73, and dollar for dollar the MI really competes.  I have the MI #20

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
larue tactical
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
LaRue, Daniel Defense, or KAC are my favorite, or Yankee Hill if you want good but less sexy at a low price.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
All of the ones Wes mentioned are good would serve you well. Just pick which features you like.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:38:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I just put as Daniel Defense rail on my AR-10 and all I can say is,  Wow.  If you went with it, you will not be dissappointed, I guarentee it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I would love a LaRue or a DD but I have a post ban with an pinned and welded break on it and it would cost about $200 bucks to take it off and replace it and get the rail mounted.So anyone have other ideas on a FF without having to take the FSP or break off?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  I have one on my issued DMR, and now it will be my next FF.

+2, DD rails Rock!

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]

I just got an MI Midlength and Love it, I had a DD and loved it too. anyone mentioned above is Good Comapny

Hey BTW does anyone have the wieght of the rails mentioned above, especially interested in the MI one?
dont mean to hi jack, thought it might be of interest to you as well.

chuck
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just got an MI Midlength and Love it, I had a DD and loved it too. anyone mentioned above is Good Comapny

Hey BTW does anyone have the wieght of the rails mentioned above, especially interested in the MI one?
dont mean to hi jack, thought it might be of interest to you as well.

chuck

You may want to check here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=172238

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
What does the #20 MI weigh?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
With the samson and troy rails you don't have to remove the front sight.

James
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I just can't help myself!!I had to do it.I went with a DD and will pay to have the Mini-Y removed to get a better break on any way.The DD is just way to awsome not to have.So I called Grant and had him send me one out! Now I just dont know what one to get for  my other Post-Ban upper  in a 2 peice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#20]
LaRue
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well I would love a LaRue or a DD but I have a post ban with an pinned and welded break on it and it would cost about $200 bucks to take it off and replace it and get the rail mounted.So anyone have other ideas on a FF without having to take the FSP or break off?

Dude!  Who quoted you THAT price?

Check out www.AR15Barrels.com under "shop services".  You should be able to get it done for a lot less than $200!

I just sent in a 14.5" upper to have the flash suppressor permanently installed, and it's going to cost me a whole $30 including return shipping.  I had a brake removed and the barrel threaded on an AR10 for $40 (or $50, can't remember now).

Great service, great prices.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have any opinions on the JP rail?  It was asked about the other day, and three links were provided, but they were all contained on the archive server so I couldn't get to them.

What looked good about it was the fact that it was smooth with several slots at the traditional 3,6 9 and 12 positions, but also some additional slots at the 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 and 10:30 positions.  It didn't include any rails, you had to purchase those separately in the lengths you wanted and then attach them to the slots where you wanted them.  You could also attach sling/bipod studs where you wanted them.  Essentially it's a customizable rail that allows you to add just the slots you need, where you need them.

It just seemed cleaner than a traditional rail that is much larger in diameter and has so many exposed rail slots that aren't being used.  I always see them covered up with rail covers which increases the diameter even more.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just can't help myself!!I had to do it.I went with a DD and will pay to have the Mini-Y removed to get a better break on any way.The DD is just way to awsome not to have.So I called Grant and had him send me one out! Now I just dont know what one to get for  my other Post-Ban upper  in a 2 peice.

[OldKnight] You Have Chosen... Wisely [/OldKnight]

Some people have manually removed their Perm Comp/Break (I wish I had done it myself). This was taken from the "Build it Yourself" Thread:

Quoted:
Remove your MINI-Y Comp brake:

Several people hate their mini-Y comp muzzle brake that came on Bushmaster postban barrels, and want to remove it to install a common flash hider.  Here is a how-to provided by another member, "BadSVT"

Quoted:
Started with this

This is where the pins are, one at 6 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock

I ground down far enough to find the pins but they wouldn't budge, so I took my dremal and used a cut off wheel to cut the comp in half. Make sure you do this right down the middle of the pin.

Then using a cold chissel, I split the comp. When I did this, it loosened the pins up.

I turned the pin by using the slot cut down the middle of the pin. Then I ground around the pin, using the cut off wheel until I had enough room to grab the pin with a needle nose pliar.

After the pin is out, cut down the middle a bit more, to connect the hole to the rest of the cut. Then split the comp open using the chissel.

The comp comes right off.

And here is the barrel with a phantom mocked up

It is VERY IMPORTANT to remember, that most of the Mini-Y's came on 14.5" barrels, and you MUST install a muzzle device that will get the barrel back to 16" or more (Phantom, Vortex) and that MUST be permanently installed, in a fashion acceptable and documented by the ATF.

AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THE BRAKE OFF, your barrel will make your AR a SBR, which is illegal, unless you have registered it and payed the ATF stamps, etc.  Do not assemble your barrel back on the rifle until you have installed the new device permanently, and dont wait a long time to get the new device installed..... or "plan to" "someday" get it mounted permanently.  The reward does not match the risk.  

I dont agree with the above legalities, at all... but they warrant mentioning.

Or you can just Pay someone to do it... But $200 bucks... Run away from that.

Good Luck with your Build.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I have owned or used just about everything on the market (ARMS, KAC, Daniel Defense, Troy, etc, etc, etc).  I have sold all my rail systems and replaced them ALL with LaRue Tactical rail systems

And I've got a couple more that I don't have pics of yet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I won't tell you what FF rails to get next, it's up to you.

I could just let you know what I like with the ones that I own.

For a one piece rail system I like my LaRue and would probably get more for my future builds.

For a two piece drop in with minor mods to the delta ring, I like my Samson.

I'm planning to try the Vltor VIS monolithic rail system next time when available.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude!  Who quoted you THAT price?

Check out www.AR15Barrels.com under "shop services".  You should be able to get it done for a lot less than $200!

I just sent in a 14.5" upper to have the flash suppressor permanently installed, and it's going to cost me a whole $30 including return shipping.  I had a brake removed and the barrel threaded on an AR10 for $40 (or $50, can't remember now).

Great service, great prices.

My gun shop in NJ told me that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Larue is what i have and you can't go wrong with that.  It's a nice rail.  I know a few places that would do the required work for 40 to cut the FS hider off.  But then you would have to get a replacement FS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Thats fine.I was going to replace the Mini-Y anyway.I  just want to find someone that does really good work to do it
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Samson hands down!!!!!      
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have owned or used just about everything on the market (ARMS, KAC, Daniel Defense, Troy, etc, etc, etc).  I have sold all my rail systems and replaced them ALL with LaRue Tactical rail systems
www.coloradoshooting.org/70pgrnmid1.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70p6920agog2.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70p6920coyote1.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70p6920swat2.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70pbushswat1.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/ute2.jpg.JPG

Your endorsement carries a lot of weight here, 03.

I'd tend to agree, but haven't pulled the trigger on one since I am really interested in a rail that has an un-interrupted top line.

The MI, Samson, and now DD* (*see below) have this feature, but like yourself I would prefer having a product offered by the LT company

This is the AR10 model and I am uncertain whether they offer it for the AR15 carbine

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:32:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.coloradoshooting.org/70pgrnmid1.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70p6920agog2.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70p6920coyote1.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70p6920swat2.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70pbushswat1.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/ute2.jpg.JPG

Your endorsement carries a lot of weight here, 03.

I'd tend to agree, but haven't pulled the trigger on one since I am really interested in a rail that has an un-interrupted top line.

The MI, Samson, and now DD* (*see below) have this feature, but like yourself I would prefer having a product offered by the LT company

This is the AR10 model and I am uncertain whether they offer it for the AR15 carbine

www.danieldefense.com//images/shop/product/4f34e4b037a908137675225cf1474a57.jpg

www.danieldefense.com/images/misc/ar10.jpg

They will soon offer it in the AR15 platform HERE is the the RIS II and it mentioned the Lite Rails
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top