Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/6/2005 7:10:35 PM EDT
A friend of mine dropped off a barrel with front sight and flash supressor, forend and gas tube from an SP1. I have been looking to assemble an older vintage AR for some time.

What other special parts will I need?

I know I need a slab side upper.

I know I need a chromed bolt carrier and forward assist serrations are actually period correct. (That is what originally came in it)

I know the rear stock is different than the current versions as well as the grip.

What about the lower?

I looked at the sticky thread here with different versions but a lot of it started at the M16A1 and I know that isn't right for this deal either.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:39:59 PM EDT
The lower is also slab sided, no mag fence and no A2 reinforcements near the front and rear take down pins. Sp1's also came with a normal bolt carrier, but the lower half of the rear is a special length. I think the early ones might have come with a chromed carrier, but mine is a '68 and it has a bolt carrier with forard assist. Grip is kind of like an A2, but it doesn't have the finger groove. I beleive the stock could have been either the M16 style for the first ones, and A1 for later guns. Differance is the A1 have a trap door in the rear and a non-swivel sling loop.
Top Top