Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2005 7:13:37 PM EDT
I have a bunch of junk I want to pass off as SS109/M855.  What paint do I use?

Just in case, the above is a joke!

I've managed to polish most of the green off of some M855 after 30 minutes in the polisher.  For my own ID purposes, if I wanted to re-mark or otherwise ID ammo, is there any type of paint good for this?  I was thinking nail polish on just the tip so as not to foul the barrel.  Any UN regs on what type of paint you can't use to shoot people with?  

Anyway, polish, paint, back on the stipper and back in the box.  What's best?

I searched prior to posting.  Sorry if I missed any prior monster threads.

Matthew
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Heck I'd just get a green magic marker and have at it!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Environmentally Compliant Coating Technology for Ammunition Items

I like the powder-coat method.  Let us know how that 400 degree oven curing works out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I find it much easier and just as effective to color code my storage containers and magazines.

M193 gets it's own color placed on the ammo can I store it in (along with a written description of the contents).

M855 or other SS109 ammo gets it own color and description.

If I have any loaded mags, they get color coded in the same manner.

Nothing is ever mixed. Even ammo I unload and use for plinking gets placed in color coded storage containers.

So far, that system has worked for several years and I've never had any mix ups. Sure as hell beats sitting around trying to paint individual bullets too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I did it with the little bottles of green craft paint that I found at China Mart - any craft store should have some.  I diluted it with water and used a small brush.  I don't remember the size - maybe a 0 or 000 size.  It's small, but not like painting with an eyelash.  I put the rounds on the stripper clips and just painted down the whole row of rounds.  The brush was big enough to kind of wrap around the whole tip of the bullet and evenly coat it all around.  Takes a little bit of trial and error to get the right dilution, but once you do it's not hard to do.  

-K
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top