Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2003 12:57:13 PM EDT
I just built my first AR.  I used the Oly Arms 20" kit and an RRA lower.  What oil should I use for the moving parts?  I haven't fired more than a few test rounds through it yet, and right now it only has Rem oil on it.  
Thanks for the help.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Let the war begin..............

I use LSA, and the occassional CLP.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
no need to start a war, just let me know what you use.

SBR what is LSA and CLP?  Can you provide a link to a place that sells it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Dunno (or forgot) what LSA is, but I use Breakfree CLP (Cleaner Lubricant Protectant) which is a all purpose "lube" that the military uses.  Breakfree is the brand name.  You can get this stuff at Wally World, Sports Authority, or any of the online vendors.

Hope this helps

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Tetra on all my firearms , good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
CLP when cleaning, and a light coat of Tetra oil on everything, and Tetra grease on trigger high-wear parts.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
LSA is Lubricant, Small Arms.  It is what CLP, or Breakfree replaced in the Military.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil...I get 1 quart for the same price as what you pay for the little 2 oz bottles.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Shooter's Choice FP-10 elite is a good lube but at 7.35 for 4oz it is a little hard on the wallet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil...I get 1 quart for the same price as what you pay for the little 2 oz bottles.
View Quote

Those 2 oz bottles are filled with lubricants specifically designed for firearms unlike motor oil, and have qualities that motor oil can't match especially for preservative open air use and viscosity.  I like CLP and FP-10.

BTW, I [b]DO[/b] use motor oil on my 1919 Browning MG because you go through a [b]LOT[/b] of it, the more the better, and normal weapons lubricants are too expensive for large quantity use like that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing I run it dry.

Sometimes I find powered graphite works good.

The Cheat
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nothing I run it dry.

Sometimes I find powered graphite works good.

The Cheat
View Quote

There is a lot to be said for that.  Very good mode to use when operating in the extreme cold, and also dusty environments.  If I was using an issued rifle, and not my own precious babies, I would do the same probably all the time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Mobil 1 Full synthetic?

What weight, 0W-30?

I'll stick with the CLP styles personally.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here... a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic is still 3/4 full after 3 years and many weapons later.  This stuff is good for high speed parts.  I used Tetra grease on charging handle, however.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]
There is another option that no one has mentioned, Ballistol.  Check out there web site at  www.ballistol.com and read up on it.  it's a good quality lub that you can use on everything, even your black powder firearms.  Heck, you can even use it on wood and leather.  It's been a standard lub in Germany, Austria and Switzerland for over 90 years. Talk to ya'll later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]
MILITEC-1 SEEMS TO WORK GOOD SO FAR
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I figure if synthetic is good enough for jet engines it will be fine for the short time I'll be using it for my toys... the reason I don't use mineral oil is the detergents it has. I have used a lot of different oils over the last 10 years or so, and to tell you the truth I can't really tell the difference, so why pay the difference. I will clean them and relube them before I go out anyway.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not going to comment on motor oil because I've never done the research on it's use in firearms.

I'd avoid graphite.  It can corrode aluminum.  I won't let graphite touch any of my firearms.

I'd rather run a dry rifle than use Militec-1.  It does nothing to stop corrosion, and in the military's own testing the dry rifles had less jams and problems than the rifles treated with Militec-1.  For those of you who do use it, don't flame me.  I am giving my own opinion (which is what he solicited) backed up by facts.  If you like it and it works for you, good for you.  Feel free to go ahead and recommend it to him, but there's no disputing what I've said here.  

You can't go wrong with BreakFree CLP, Mil-comm TW-25B or Eezox.

BreakFree CLP- Tried and true, still used by our armed forces today.  Cleans well, lubricates well, and does a great job of protecting against corrosion.  However, it's not good for cold climates and it does tend to run everywhere and not stay where it belongs.  It also seems to burn off.  Also, I've never quite felt right about lubricants that separate and need to be shaken.

Eezox CLP- Not very well known.  It protects great, even better than breakfree.  Many a salt-fog steel test sheet has come out sparkling when protected with Eezox.  Lubricates great, and from some of the ASTN tests I've read, better than BF CLP.  Lubrication is pretty much in line with FP-10 (which is probably tops, or close to, in lubrication).  Cleaning seems as good as BF CLP, haven't seen any scientific tests on this, but subjectively it seems to do a great job at pulling fouling out of bores, and metal pores.  It applies wet, but the cleaner+lubricant carrier dries and leaves behind dry lubrication & protection.  Stays put, works great in Cold climates (-40F).  Freezing point is -95F.  Does not cook-off.

Mil-comm TW25B-  Another great lubricant, protects pretty well too.  Not quite as good as BreakFree CLP, but close.  It's also not a CLP, so you'll have to use the separate MC-2500 cleaner.  It stays put and lubricates better than BF CLP, roughly in-line with Eezox (I'd still give the edge to Eezox).  Works in cold climates (-40F) pretty well.  -40F is not it's freezing point, that's just the temperature at which the test took place.  Does not cook-off.  For me, the best reason to use this stuff is that it is completely environmentally friendly.  It is entirely not toxic and you could eat the stuff if you want.  If you are around firearms all day (gunsmith, armorer, etc.), this can be a major bonus as you will probably get tired (as will your body) of inhaling irritating lubricants for long periods of time.

Personally I used BreakFree CLP for many years.  I always liked Eezox's protection against corrosion and that it was dry/stayed put, but I was unconvinced as to it's lubrication abilities.  I recently found independant ASTN testing on Eezox and found it was one of the top-runners in lubrication ability.  So all that was left was how well does it clean.  The firearms I have cleaned with it come out great, easily as good as BF CLP.  I will do scientific tests on it's cleaning ability at some point in the future.  I use Eezox almost exclusively now.  I still keep the BF CLP and TW-25B around should special purposes/occations arise.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replies!  And thanks for keeping it civil and not flaming people for posting what they prefer to use.  I have Breakfree at home now, but may look into Eezox.

Thanks
Nick
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I USE DRI-LUBE WITH TEFLON,,,,,,,JOE
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Rem-Oil works good for me
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rem-Oil works good for me
View Quote

I use a lot of that too - it works well in the cold here in Alaska.  Never used it on my AR's though, just pistols.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I use remoil on everything, it works fine...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
definitely CLP!!!!!!!!
[buttkick]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I, too, use Ballistol.  It was developed in the early 1900s and was H&K's official lubricant forever.  Can't beat the stuff.  It does it all.  I have used FP-10.  After talking with the owner at Knob Creek i was convinced it's pretty good to stay on the metal.  Anybody else know anything good/bad about militec?  Barrett included some with my 82A1.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#25]
breakfree clp all the way...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top