Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 4:16:36 PM EDT
I know that the Army uses the M4. Do the Marines use M4's or do they stick to the M16's?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
USAF security forces use the M-4 as well.

Of course SOCOM uses them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
USMC issue is the M16A4, M4s are in use by some USMC special units.

The A4 MWS is the rifle of the riflemen in divisional units, the M4 is currently being fielded to all divisional Marines who would normally be issued a pistol.  The MLG and Wing also have M4s but most of those are issued to MP and air crews, with the remainder issued A2s until all A2 are replaced with A4 MWSs.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
SOCCOM
Delta Force
Special Forces
Rangers
Airborne
Mechanized Infantry
Military Police
Tank crews
Self propelled Artillery crews
USMC Recon
Air Force PJs
Navy Seals

Im sure there are more.Like in ww2 more M1 carbines were used than rifles because support units were also equipped with the lighter smaller weapon.Some times job description will dictate an M4 even if its not a front line posistion.Its what you do also and space you have available that dictates it.I think even apache crews carry M4s in the chopper.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#5]
M3 grease guns were replaced by M4's in the Army, so any unit that had a vehicle recovery crew issued M3's now has M4's also. Example, M88 crews.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
my friend's MP unit issued the drivers and the squad leaders M4s
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
every branch uses the M4.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Our attached Army Bomb dog handlers were issued M4's, not our Marine handlers though, they were all given M9's...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#10]
The US Coast Guard still uses M16A2's, M9's (being replaced) and M870 Riot shotguns with 14" barrels and ACOG Reflex sights on them...bad ass

Very few High speed/ Low drag units have M4's, but thats it
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Navy still uses M9, I don't know when we are going to Sigs.  I heard we were though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The A4 MWS is the rifle of the riflemen in divisional units, the M4 is currently being fielded to all divisional Marines who would normally be issued a pistol.  The MLG and Wing also have M4s but most of those are issued to MP and air crews, with the remainder issued A2s until all A2 are replaced with A4 MWSs.  

are they still issuing the M9,  . . .or just less of them ?

Yes, M9s are still being issued.  I have read one message that stated M9s would mostly be replaced with M4s and I have read another stated supplemented with.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#13]
M9 is the 9mm Beretta
M4 is the AR14 M4.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#14]
M9s are still part of the TO&E for units in the Army.  They are usually issued to to E-7 and above.  There is no plan to replace the pistol with carbines.  Prior to deployment to Iraq I was issued an M9 but took the opportunity to sign out M16A2 as well (As all the M4s were spoken for).  

Current RUMINT (rumor intelligence) is the Army is going back to the .45ACP.  I need to look in the new Army times, there's suppose to be an article about it this month.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually the M4 is a carbine version of the M16. As far as I know there is no such thing as the Ar14.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

are they still issuing the M9,  . . .or just less of them ?

Yes, M9s are still being issued.  I have read one message that stated M9s would mostly be replaced with M4s and I have read another stated supplemented with.

When i was on float in 2003, the BLT got 80 or so M4s through some crack deal with SysCom the Gunner worked out.  The MEU "stole" some for their staff ( they have to look cool too!), but the rest went to senior SNCOs, officers, and the CAAT and Javelin Platoons to supplement the M9s and replace M16s for those who would be vehicle mounted.  Every Marine in my platoon had an M9 and an M16A2 with the exception of the platoon sergeant and myself, we had M9s and M4s.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
When i was on float in 2003, the BLT got 80 or so M4s through some crack deal with SysCom the Gunner worked out.  The MEU "stole" some for their staff ( they have to look cool too!), but the rest went to senior SNCOs, officers, and the CAAT and Javelin Platoons to supplement the M9s and replace M16s for those who would be vehicle mounted.  Every Marine in my platoon had an M9 and an M16A2 with the exception of the platoon sergeant and myself, we had M9s and M4s.

2 years is a long time in a Corps with a war going on, Since June of this year the Marines have sent around 9000 to the 3 MEFs and MFR.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 years is a long time in a Corps with a war going on, Since June of this year the Marines have sent around 9000 to the 3 MEFs and MFR.  

Exactly the point I was illustrating.  

There have certianly been some changes in what is issued and to whom.  What once was an oddity is now commonplace (the M4).  Back in 1999 time frame, they were almost unheard of.  2nd LAR had some for a little while before they were re-distributed out to Recon Bn/Force and RadBn.  Jump ahead to 2003 and there are some floating around but certainly not in any particular manner (except for Force/RadBn where they are a TE item).  Now in 2005 it seems they are a common part of the TE.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]
a friend of my is in the navy (corpsmen) whos deployed with marines in iraq, he was issued an m9 and an m4
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Navy still uses M9, I don't know when we are going to Sigs.  I heard we were though.

The CG is going over to the SIGs also...Being stationed in Maine, we get everything last... M16A2's, M240B, and Sigs...

WE STILL USE M60's for gods sake
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WE STILL USE M60's for gods sake

There are several 11Bravos I know that prefer the pig over the -240. Be glad you are one of the lucky ones that still have them in the armory.

IMO, given the taskings, and the training surrounding it, and keeping with standardization and economies of scale, the standard issue for all services should be the M4 across the board. Most of the non combat arms related units as well, since they dont have a need for a 20" barrell capable of 800 meter suppression of area targets. Alle they need is something for self defense, in a compact package that doesn't get in the way of the work they have to perform. Again, just IMO.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#22]
The CG hardly ever uses M16's except for security on cutters, and Shark watch during swim call...  Ive only heard of doing boardings with M16's on large cruise ships.  a 5.56MM would be very dangerous in confined spaces with steel bulkheads...  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
M4 is the AR14 M4.

Ummm, what?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
SOCCOM
Delta Force
Special Forces
Rangers
Airborne
Mechanized Infantry
Military Police
Tank crews
Self propelled Artillery crews
USMC Recon
Air Force PJs
Navy Seals

Im sure there are more.Like in ww2 more M1 carbines were used than rifles because support units were also equipped with the lighter smaller weapon.Some times job description will dictate an M4 even if its not a front line posistion.Its what you do also and space you have available that dictates it.I think even apache crews carry M4s in the chopper.

Air Force Pj's are actually using an  M4 look alike. I can't remember right now the AF designation, but it has the A1 sights with an M4 barrel. Now I am sure there are flat tops as well, but a lot of pic's show them using what I described.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M4 is the AR14 M4.

Ummm, what?

haven't you heard?

j/k
(gotta be a typo)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top