Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 11:08:40 AM EDT
I have handled the guns as a gun shop in the D/FW area. When you pull back the charging handle you feel the slickest, most buttery action. What makes it so slick? The dealer told me it was because everything was hand fit. Upon inspection of the bolt I see no major evidence of handfitting, at least not like you see in the "Hellbender Accurize an AR" thread.

You can definitely see a lot of lube, but is there anything else to it? Something like dry lube (Cerakote) inside the upper and receiver extension?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
My Aero Precision is super slick.  I have a Jp tuned extra power spring and spikes st-t2 buffer in it which is a night and day difference compared to standard mil spec spring and buffer
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried looking on their site to see some contruction and component descriptions, but I found the site a little convoluted for details...just my take.  So...can you tell from your observation if the BCG had a slick finish or treatment...like NiB, nitride, etc.?  Just curious because I can drop a Fail Zero NiB BCG into any of my AR15's and feel a notable reduction in friction.  I'm no shill for FZ or NiB components in general, but I notice some improvement in "feel" when using trigger or BCG components that are NiB.  Might just be a placebo effect.

The other element of smoothness you noted might just be very precise manufacturing tolerances and process.  I have a pair of Armalite AR10's that hand cycled their actions as slick as snot right out of the box...and some other brands/models do the same just because someone is paying attention to detail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Nickel Boron and frog lube
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The BCG appears to be nitrided.

I sell nitrided BCGs in my shop. I haven't used any of them that felt as slick in the gun as the Warsport does. I'm sure whatever lube they use helps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Cerakote helps .... All my cerakoted guns have a smoother action than my non cerakoted guns
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I sell nitrided BCGs in my shop. I haven't used any of them that felt as slick in the gun as the Warsport does. I'm sure whatever lube they use helps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the machined finish on the ones you sell vs. Warsports?  My JP nitride bolt feels like it's on ball bearings. The AIM Nitride bolt carrier in my in laws AR isn't nearly as smooth. When you compare the machined finishes the AIM carrier has tool marks where as the JP has a highly polished gloss black finish.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You'd be surprised how little polishing can make such a big difference....

Think about all the places that can drag on a brand new AR.

Heck, you can even feel it on a brand new collapsible buffer tube... a little burnishing with 0000 steelwool  will smooth that right up.

Think of your car... it is smooth... but after a fresh coat of polish it is even smoother.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How is the machined finish on the ones you sell vs. Warsports?  My JP nitride bolt feels like it's on ball bearings. The AIM Nitride bolt carrier in my in laws AR isn't nearly as smooth. When you compare the machined finishes the AIM carrier has tool marks where as the JP has a highly polished gloss black finish.
View Quote

I don't have them side by side to compare. The nitride BCGs I have sold were AIM, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Lightly lube the buffer tube and spring. It will be slick and buttery in any gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Everything is hand lapped
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The bungee cords.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
It's the extra dizzle they sprinkle on before building it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a CMMG that I could chamber a round 2" from your ear and not wake you it's so smooth....for about 1/4 of the price of a Warsport.

I don't know what it is and like you I've wondered. I have a MUCH more expensive AR built with all top end parts and while it too is smooth, it can't touch the CMMG.

My guess is LOOSE tolerances
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lightly lube the buffer tube and spring. It will be slick and buttery in any gun.
View Quote

Do you think the world is ready for my patent-pending buffer lube?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Costa jizzle
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Costa jizzle
View Quote
Oh you mean CLP White? hahaha

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

So much dizzle drizzle.

You can make a PSA $499 rifle kit slick as all get out with lapping compound, motor oil, some axle grease and 30 minutes of your time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Curious if it has a standard cam pin or some of the newer rounded styles some companies are making or rollers?  The rounded or roller cam pin will slick the feel of an action up more than anything else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]
The JP rifles I've seen and felt have actions so smooth it's almost mind bending if you go from a Milspec to one.

It's like moving a warm, lubed trombone slide.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The JP rifles I've seen and felt have actions so smooth it's almost mind bending if you go from a Milspec to one.

It's like moving a warm, lubed trombone slide.
View Quote

telling ya guys a JP spring in the shit.. not the silent capture one just a regular tuned spring
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I notice the most grit in cycling my rifles tends to come from the left side of the CH rubbing against the inside of the upper when I rack it. Grease in that spot helps a lot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the proprietary money-impregnated ward0g dizzle parts that make it so Anar3xic.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Crisco
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Crisco
View Quote

Money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#27]
WAAAARRRRR DDIIZZZZLLLEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WAAAARRRRR DDIIZZZZLLLEEEEEEEEE
View Quote

Anor3xic Ur3thra Wardog Supreme.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#29]
They take 100 dollar bills used to purchase thier firearms and use the polishing power of our currency make the inside of the upper smoother than a fresh jar of skippy......
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Crisco Ludus
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey guys, this is a technical forum. Please keep the "General Discussion" type comments out of this thread. I don't want the thread locked.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't see any evidence of hand lapping when inspecting the internals. I looked on the charging handle, bolt carrier, bolt lugs, etc. None of those areas showed any finish having been removed. I am sure they didn't re-nitride the BCG after lapping.

In fact, the bolt didn't really move smoothly inside of the BCG.

It did have a generous amount of lube. It was a black (fouled?) grease that got all over my hands when handling the BCG.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I didn't see any evidence of hand lapping when inspecting the internals. I looked on the charging handle, bolt carrier, bolt lugs, etc. None of those areas showed any finish having been removed. I am sure they didn't re-nitride the BCG after lapping.

It did have a generous amount of lube. It was a black (fouled?) grease that got all over my hands when handling the BCG.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just saying what my rep told us. you can see evidence in the upper receivers of the 2 we have but not really on anything else

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#34]
If the action consists of a typical buffer and spring, it's just lube. More than likely, a thick grease.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you cycled a JP?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey guys, this is a technical forum. Please keep the "General Discussion" type comments out of this thread. I don't want the thread locked.
View Quote

I would then recommend calling the fine folks at Warsport and asking them why their action is so buttery.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Is buttery good?

After the whole FireClean fiasco, maybe they use real butter?

Anybody do a spectral analysis?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Have you cycled a JP?
View Quote

No, I have not.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#39]
That's the SCS at work...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Is buttery good?

After the whole FireClean fiasco, maybe they use real butter?

Anybody do a spectral analysis?

View Quote

Given the cost of their uppers, it's probably Astroglide...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, I have not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you cycled a JP?

No, I have not.

Everything is smooth, and/or polished, then covered on oil. That is how it happens.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top