Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2003 5:04:47 PM EDT
I have been observing these weapons for some time now & am looking for the factors that define an AR as an "SPR" this is what my observations have yiedled thus far.

The common denominator is as follows:
A scoped AR with a sleeved, floated barrel of 18' or longer, a bipod, & fancy-schmancy pistol grip.

am I missing anything? Are these too many requirements?
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it stands for (Special Purpose Rifle). Maybe something like:
Bushmaster Stainless Varmint
or DCM Competition Rifle???

A rifle built for one specific task in mind.

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
There are differnt variations of the SPR.  The first ones were PRI tubes and front sight with ARMS 40 rear and the ARMS sleeve connecting the tube and upper.  Second generation were KAC FF tubes, front and rear sights.

NONE have a special grip.  Its an A2 grip.

ALL have a KAC 2 stage full auto trigger.

The barrel is 18" Stainless match with the miltary 2 port brake and collar for the reflex suppressor.  There are no 20" barrels.

The scope is a Leupold LR M3 Mildot in most cases but others have been used too.

I have left out a lot of detail for the sake of brevity.  The rifles above are the real configuration of military SPRs.  This was supposed to be an upper only (Special Purpose RECIEVER) but some people misappropriated funds and the military got a whole rifle (Special Purpose RIFLE).  Its a very long story and had there not been a war some people might have faced charges over this clusterfuck according to the sources I have talked to.

Anyway, nowdays people will call anything with a scope and a rail system an SPR.  Much like anything with a notch in the barrel is an M4 to people on this board. [rolleyes]

I may have a couple tiny points off but this is the general idea and I will let others fill in the small details of the SPR.

The SPR grip you see on rifles many times is a Sierra Precission Rifle grip and the SPR stands for something else and is not related to the real SPR at all.  MSTN uses thes grips on his SPR clones a lot so perhaps thats where you got the idea.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
MSTN + Money [;D]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14087[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top