Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:11:12 AM EDT
What do most who shoot varmints or targets @ 200-300 yards like for magnification on their scopes and why? I have a Nikon 3x10x50 and am thinking of going higher like 3x15.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a 6-18 VX-II.....works for me.  I have found that I like to keep it cranked down to 8, 10, or 12 b/c of mirage and I shoot better at the lower magnifications at that range.  This past weekend I was shooting at ~400 yards with 75 and 77g BH and I was getting <=3" groups on 10x.  At 18x they opened up to around ~4".  I attribute this to any slight movement being more noticeable at the higher mag.

Rifle is a 24" RRA Varminter.  I was shooting prone with a bipod...surrounded by cattle claymores.

ETA: I also did some shooting at ~950 yards and the 18x helped alot.....for those occassions it is nice to have a higher mag.  I think the 6-18 is about "perfect" for my purposes with that rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Good Info. I noticed I have now turned it down from 10 to about 8 for 200 because 10 wasn't enough and the movement. Looks like the groups have shrunk by 1/2" or more.  I just wonder if I would go up to 15 if I could at 200. Sounds like not.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#3]
On my varmint rigs I use 6x24 variables. These are for shooting at 200 yards for the shortest shots, and targets are roughly the size of a soda can.

Don't cheap-out on the scope. the cheaper ones will not have the clarity you'd like.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I never cheap out, thats not my style. Thats why I have a Nikon.  I reasearch and buy what I feel is the best bang for the buck, even if it is a lot of dollars. I don't want to say what I spent on my set up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used various 3-10's, 4-14's, and 6-24s--all on prairie dogs.  I have never cranked-up any scope beyond 16x for more than 1 shot due to mirage and the difficulty in keeping on target during recoil at that high a magnification.  Most shots are at 12x or so and that is out between 200-500 yards.  I won't ever spend the money on "high magnification" again.  Use that money and get quality glass with snap and contrast and 12-14x will be all you ever need for prairie dogs with a .223
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top