Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 9:30:24 PM EST
I have a new Stag model 1 and would like to add a rail system. I mainly just want to add a light with a with a pressure pad right now, but may add more stuff later. I want something that does not require a gunsmith and is light. Are there rails out there that will connect to the delta ring like the stock plastic? Any advise is appreciated. You can also include any light recommendations too.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:37:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/10/2009 9:38:34 PM EST by NY_Shooter]
Troy MRF-DI - $149

Super easy install (on and off just like regular plastic handguards, but have 4 screws to tighten it down). Pretty lightweight. Super tight lock up. Troy quality. Affordable price.

I had one, and would buy it again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:49:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
Troy MRF-DI - $149

Super easy install (on and off just like regular plastic handguards, but have 4 screws to tighten it down). Pretty lightweight. Super tight lock up. Troy quality. Affordable price.

I had one, and would buy it again.

I agree, Troy is a great route to go. As far as a light. I've been using the streamlight tlr-1 and its been working really well for me. 135 lumens so its pretty bright and its reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:52:25 PM EST
I am liking my YHM + TLR1
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:47:32 AM EST
I can't give you first hand experience on all the models, but can tell you I have been incredibly pleased with my Midwest Industries non free float rail, at about $129. I use the rails only for my Scout 600C light, and when I am in the mood, the VFG. The only complaint I had was putting in on. I did not have the handguard tool, but I had to borrow my nephew for some extra hands, with me pulling back on the delta ring with the padded handles of my pliers, and him sliding the forearm under the lips of the delta ring.

Now that it is installed, it is rock solid, with no play. Non used parts of the rail are covered with Magpul XT rail covers, which can be easily and neatly cut to size.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:47:08 AM EST
I like my Daniel Defence Omega 7. It weighs only 8oz and is a 2 piece free float.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:49:58 PM EST
I have two Daniel Defense, and one Yankee Hill rail. I'll just say this, you get what you pay for. The Yankee Hill is o.k., but the Daniel Defense rails are sooooo much nicer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:20:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 6:21:11 PM EST by deez]
+1 on the DD Omega.

Easy install, lightweight, oval profile (instead of round like Troy and others), and has a built-in QD swivel attachment point on each side.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:23:34 AM EST

Knight's Armament Company (KAC) M4 RAS carbine rail system with KAC rail panels and KAC VFG

I would recommend the KAC M4 RAS for standard production battle grade carbines, in my own honest opinion using free floating rails on production grade barrels won't gain any noticable accuracy improvement, FF rails are better used on better/ high grade barrels for improved performance.

The KAC RAS rails installs very easy, just drop it in like a standard plastic M4 handguards, except the RAS have an internal bracket that locks on the barrel nut to prevent any movement even when the rail gets worn out.

KAC M4 RAS are well proven by American troops deployed worldwide and here at home, they're a very high quality product with many satisfied users including myself.

I would not recommend buying them retail prices because of their cost, instead look for them at the Equipment Exchange (EE) which usually goes for $150 to $200 from slightly used to brand new conditions, buying it at a lower price would make them less expensive than FF rails.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:26:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 2:30:37 PM EST by SERVED_USMC]
I've been seeing a lot of Surefire 2 piece rails on EE lately (actually sold mine on there last year). You can get them at a pretty decent price and I think it's a good rail for the money. I just sold mine to fund another build with a FF Larue rail. I would buy one again If I wanted to go that route. Hope this helps.

ETA: Found this KAC on EE. Not to sure what the price usually is for one of these but it seems to be a good deal. He also has another one with the VFG and rail covers if your interested.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=696463
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:40:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
I've been seeing a lot of Surefire 2 piece rails on EE lately (actually sold mine on there last year). You can get them at a pretty decent price and I think it's a good rail for the money. I just sold mine to fund another build with a FF Larue rail. I would buy one again If I wanted to go that route. Hope this helps.

ETA: Found this KAC on EE. Not to sure what the price usually is for one of these but it seems to be a good deal. He also has another one with the VFG and rail covers if your interested.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=696463

Here's a Surefire with acc.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=692798
Top Top