Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2004 7:45:22 AM EDT

I need to buy a lower and lower parts kit to get started on another AR project but I may not be able to get it into the budget until after Sept 15th.  

Does anyone think there will be a mad rush for parts or after the AWB sunsets?  If so what parts do you think will be the hardest to get?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Collapsable stocks- all kinds
"Preban" barrels

Those are the main two. if you're going to get anything before the EOB (end of ban), I'd make it this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
votrex, phantom, and birdcage flash hiders, as well as 1/2 x 28tpi dies
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I need to buy a lower and lower parts kit to get started on another AR project but I may not be able to get it into the budget until after Sept 15th.  

Does anyone think there will be a mad rush for parts or after the AWB sunsets?  If so what parts do you think will be the hardest to get?  

None...

All the LEO goodies will be open market... No 'changeover' will be needed... The tooling and such is allready in place to produce 'normal' guns...

Now, I do see some artificial shortages by profiteering dealers, but that's how the market works...

All's fair in love, war & business...

P.S. I also look forward to $450-500 10yo beat-to-shit ARs (ex 'pre-bans')... It will take a while, and some people will take a bath on them, but...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Correct Front sight towers
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I see a Cash shortage headed my way in September
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I totally agree!

Stocks are my first priority. I need about eight of them.

ls
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I think stripped lowers will be in short supply. Everyone (myself included) is gonna buy a bunch of them so we have new "prebans" if another ban is enacted after this one expires.

If kerry wins and/or we lose the senate or house stripped lowers will be $250+ on November 3rd.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I can see price gouging dealers and individual sellers doing what Philadelphia gun man said but beyond that I don't think anything will be in short supply or hard to find given the fact most all of it never ceased production...It was just always sold as "For Pre bans".

The only thing I can see maybe being short to order are the brand new things like the LMT Crane stock or the new to be released enhanced Magpul stock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate to say it, but Wolfpack is probably right.  Kerry may yet get elected and if that's the case we'll all have been much better off buying receivers and mags.  Course, they'll probably bully the issue and ban the parts that "lead to the assembly of illegal weapons" as well as the major components.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Buying them is easy.  Putting them on an existing barrel - unless you have access to machine tools - GOOD LUCK.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I think initially there will be short supplys of EVERYTHING affected by the AWB. A real feeding frenzy, as a lot of people figure it is only a matter of time until another ban is placed, so they will be getting while the getting is good. And of course, supply and demand will drive up prices. If Kerry wins, it will get worse, if possible.

Maybe I'm a pessimist and am totally off base, but I'm betting on human nature being what it is.

However, if disater DOESN'T strike in the form of Demoncraps getting control of one or more of the three elective branches, look for thing to settle down by next summer. Maybe sooner.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm looking to get mags, lowers and believe it or not, barrels with brakes. I have the capacity to remove the brakes so I hope to pick up some for a song. I imagine it will be hard to get a good price for "post ban" barrels/uppers after it goes away.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
man, you got that right buy all you can afford, because its better to have and not need,than need and not have, because if kerry gets in and the anti gunners have their way we will deffinitly have need.

Quoted:
You guys can spend all your money on parts, I'm buying stripped lowers and mags. When Kerry is elected you can fiddle with your barrells all you want, I'll have "pre-ban" lowers to sell.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1  My wife is going to kill me after the ban.
556man
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Wolpack, I dig your quote, There aren't many QR fans around anymore!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#20]
i don't think theres going to be a mad crazy rush....

i think you'll see a small shortage of the BANNED stuff... but then its going to slow back to normal... a receiver is what $200 w/ a cheap-o stock... get it now if you are worried....

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
AMMO
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You guys can spend all your money on parts, I'm buying stripped lowers and mags. When Kerry is elected you can fiddle with your barrells all you want, I'll have "pre-ban" lowers to sell.

Won't the lowers have to be "built" rifles as with the current AWB to be safe as *prebans*?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Won't the lowers have to be "built" rifles as with the current AWB to be safe as *prebans*?

Yes but as long as you own the lower at the time the ban starts you can say that you had built it into a rifle and since you are innocent until proven guilty,the .gov would have to prove that you didn't.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but as long as you own the lower at the time the ban starts you can say that you had built it into a rifle and since you are innocent until proven guilty,the .gov would have to prove that you didn't.

You're all assuming that "the next ban" will be like the last ban with a grandfather clause and won't have a no-transfer clause.  The Anti's have long since realized their mistake in the previous ban and you can bet that "the next ban" won't have the same loop holes that the last one did.  

If/when the ban sunsets, the term "preban" will mean nothing to anybody, except for the states that have enstated bans and have a grandfather clause for rifles that existed before their ban was enacted.  

When "the next ban" is enstated, any and all grandfathered rifles will likely be from the date of enstatement forward.  It seems very unlikely that a law can be enacted and have a retro date to a previously sunsetted law, but with the degrading state of our legistative and judicial systems today, you never know.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're all assuming that "the next ban" will be like the last ban with a grandfather clause and won't have a no-transfer clause.  The Anti's have long since realized their mistake in the previous ban and you can bet that "the next ban" won't have the same loop holes that the last one did.  

If/when the ban sunsets, the term "preban" will mean nothing to anybody, except for the states that have enstated bans and have a grandfather clause for rifles that existed before their ban was enacted.  

When "the next ban" is enstated, any and all grandfathered rifles will likely be from the date of enstatement forward.  It seems very unlikely that a law can be enacted and have a retro date to a previously sunsetted law, but with the degrading state of our legistative and judicial systems today, you never know.

Scary shit indeed...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I already have everything I ordered from various dealers and manufacturers, except lowers I am getting from elsewhere. I pick up 9/13 so I see no shortage for me. Good thing about having a Class 3 one can order preban uppers anytime so only stocks and parts needed along with lowers.

They cannot stop the private transfer of firearms unless we are stupid enough to register them. None of mine except Class 3 are or ever will be in any computer. I will be able to sell as I want.

This is the last ban I will ever recognize and it should be the same for all who truly believe in the 2nd.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#28]

This is the last ban I will ever recognize and it should be the same for all who truly believe in the 2nd.

Preach it, Brother Alaman!

The Brits and the Aussies--not to mention our brothers in NY and Kalifornistan--have shown us what happens to those who believe in and trust "registration" programs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#29]
You left out Illinois (Chicago).

Quoted:

Preach it, Brother Alaman!

The Brits and the Aussies--not to mention our brothers in NY and Kalifornistan--have shown us what happens to those who believe in and trust "registration" programs.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The burden of proof is indeed upon you. Right now.
How can you state  what will be in the future?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I hope that there will not be any shortage/delay to speak of... but I am a pragmatist, so I've already bought everything I will need for all of my "upgrades."  After the sunset, I will upgrade all the rifles I plan to & then offer all of my "pre-bans" (except for my very first AR - sentimental reasons) for sale to Arfcommers living in states where it will still make a difference - at a fair price, too, not some ridiculously inflated price.  I'll try to sell the "left-over" parts as well, but I realize the used market will be flooded with pinned stocks, neutered uppers/barrels, etc.  (good news for those building new State-law-compliant weapons in "restricted" states, I guess ).
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I think stripped lowers will be in short supply. Everyone (myself included) is gonna buy a bunch of them so we have new "prebans" if another ban is enacted after this one expires.

If kerry wins and/or we lose the senate or house stripped lowers will be $250+ on November 3rd.

I don't see another AWB too soon even if Kerry does get elected. Sure the dems as a whole are anti-aw, Bush and some other republicans are anti-aw too but the last AWB cost 20 some dems their jobs and did little to nothing to curb anything. I think if there is another AWB it'll be to curbe highcaps and nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish that were true. However, assault weapons are illegal. The grandfather clause is known as an affirmitave defense. Thus the burden of proof lies with the accused.

When the ban expires, I intend to have photographs and written descriptions of my weapons notarized. If the issue ever comes up, I'm hoping that'll make proving their grandfather status much easier.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'll try to sell the "left-over" parts as well, but I realize the used market will be flooded with pinned stocks, neutered uppers/barrels, etc.  

I'm in the market for a rifle buffer tube, spring, buffer and stock screw--preferably an A1 screw. I have an A1 stock but I'm not against buying that too if you want to make a deal of it. I can order all this stuff from a vendor but if any ARFCOMer wants to make me a deal, I'm ready to do bid-ness!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#35]
If Kerry and Edwards get in everything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Mags
Collapsabe Stocks
Barrels
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buying them is easy.  Putting them on an existing barrel - unless you have access to machine tools - GOOD LUCK.

Need two Colts right now.........

How are they marked?
What are you offering today?

TR
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Agree.

Sammy

Quoted:
I don't see another AWB too soon even if Kerry does get elected. Sure the dems as a whole are anti-aw, Bush and some other republicans are anti-aw too but the last AWB cost 20 some dems their jobs and did little to nothing to curb anything. I think if there is another AWB it'll be to curbe highcaps and nothing more.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#39]
As far as the collapsible stocks, it is only the metal parts that will be in short supply.  Maybe get those now.  There will probably be plenty of plastic; IIRC Cav Arms alone can produce over a thousand of those a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top