Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2005 2:57:23 PM EDT
Okay, I have a semi M-14 in a Sage stock. I don't want to use a standard side mount (ARMS, SE, SA, etc.). I would like to mount whatever optic it is on the rearmost portion of the upper rail. I can buy a Larue SPR EER mount and turn it backwards (as I've seen someone on another site do) but I'm not sure exactly how far back it will bring the scope for eye relief.

Okay, so here's my requirements:

1) Must be able to be used in CQB or medium range (out to 500 meters) so it probably needs to be a low magnification, may be variable or fixed.

2) Must have some sort of ranging ability, whether that's mil-dot or stadia lines (like a Dragunov scale, Shepherd's, or Leatherwood ART II). Does not have to be a cam but holdover calibrated for .308 would be nice.

3) Prefer long eye relief but if the SPR EER works out it may not have to be all THAT long. However, with the SPR EER eye relief will NOT be "close" even in a best case scenario.

I have an EOTech currently on it but it obviously doesn't have ranging capability and holdover for 500 yards is 4 feet (provided you know it's 500 yards of course)!

So, what do you guys recommend? Even if it's an oddball optic I'm receptive unless it's $2000 or something ridiculous.

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You wont like this answer, but I suggest an AR10 carbine

You can put a LaRue mount on backwards, but I dont get too excited about the height over bore, or the fact that ejecting shells will be smacking into the scope or the mount with each shot. However, about anything covered in this thread will do what you are looking to do;

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=254584

I figure ANY scope mount on an M-14 will be sitting over the bolt area, unless it's a long eye relief scope. The center of my EOTech's window is @ 2.5" from the center of the chamber, so it's not TOO high. An SPR EER would be the same height, right? As long as I have some sort of ranging capability and a way to "holdover" the height-above-bore isn't an issue to me at 2.5". Much higher and it would be, though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried the exact mount on my M1A when I had it in a Sage stock. It sits fairly high on the rifle. I had a Leupold 3.5x10 M3 scope on it. At first i tried a set of med rings I had laying around and they just cleared the iron sight but I wanted something that didn't have to be mounted to the stripper clip mount as it wasn't exactly the same height (about .010 low) as the rail on the handguard.  The LaRue mount worked but it raised the scope up about 3/8 inch over the iron sight which meant I had to raise the cheek rest up. You are limited to scope placment back and forth by the mount and the turret area of the scope so eye relief and become a problem since the cheek rest on the sage is so far back.For me to get the proper check weld I had to close the stock up a few notches which worked for my eye relief but made the stock too short. Oh well.............
I ended up selling the stock and mount as I just wasn't happy with the whole set up and went back to my wood E2 stock and iron sights. If I want to shoot a scoped semi auto I have my AR10.

No shells hit the scope or the mount. The only time I have had that happen was with a receiver mounted enterprise arms mount.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I tried the exact mount on my M1A when I had it in a Sage stock. It sits fairly high on the rifle. I had a Leupold 3.5x10 M3 scope on it. At first i tried a set of med rings I had laying around and they just cleared the iron sight but I wanted something that didn't have to be mounted to the stripper clip mount as it wasn't exactly the same height (about .010 low) as the rail on the handguard.  The LaRue mount worked but it raised the scope up about 3/8 inch over the iron sight which meant I had to raise the cheek rest up. You are limited to scope placment back and forth by the mount and the turret area of the scope so eye relief and become a problem since the cheek rest on the sage is so far back.For me to get the proper check weld I had to close the stock up a few notches which worked for my eye relief but made the stock too short. Oh well.............
I ended up selling the stock and mount as I just wasn't happy with the whole set up and went back to my wood E2 stock and iron sights. If I want to shoot a scoped semi auto I have my AR10.

No shells hit the scope or the mount. The only time I have had that happen was with a receiver mounted enterprise arms mount.

That's exactly what I needed to hear: someone who had the same setup as I was contemplating BEFORE I spent the money! I figured adjusting the scope forwards or backwards for eye relief would be hindered by the turret on the scope, seeing as how you're stuck with ring placement on the SPR EER. Thanks for the info.

Okay, looks like a long eye relief scope. Does anyone make one with some sort of ranging capability?

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I wound up going with the longest eye-relief (3.6 inches) trijicon compact acog:

Good luck...

Brobee
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]
M2 MRT.  

Use an ARMS #18 mount and MkIV or larue rings.  

The idea is something light with low power capability.  That stock is heavy.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
if you're using a receiver mount, get the LaRue SPR or any other normal rings
if you're using the Sage top rail, get the LaRue SPR-E

With a long-eye relief low-variable scope on an M14, you want to lineup the scope's eyepiece near the end of the receiver's heel.
The SPR was too short with my Accupoint and SN-4. (see picture below)

The SPR-E was just long enough. (see picture below)

As others stated, all those low-variable scopes reviewed(except Accupoint) meet your criteria.
Check out the Armory sub-section for more scoped M14 examples.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Now THAT'S using the brain housing group!

WELL DONE!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Ability to bring a  TR-21 or TR-22 to the proper eye relief  on the MK14 was a design  point on the SPR-E mount.
Out.
2011BLDR
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top