Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2004 8:23:12 AM EDT
I have the following upper on order:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/pura2b20.asp

In case you can't use the link (bushmaster's site times out alot), it's an A2 20in Post Ban National Match Target Model Upper Receiver.

The carry handle and site are fixed (A2).  I wanted an accurate 20" rifle, I hope this is it.

But, I still want a Knights or arms system.  Or maybe there are other alternatives.  I've seen some cool stuff around, and there is always custom right?

Now, that A2 front site - I don't know that I should be taking that off myself to slip a free float tube on.  Do I need to?  Maybe I would want to send my upper to someone to put it on for me.

Thanks for the help in advance!
E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good unit, what did it run you?  Personally, I'd shopped around for a barrel (whatever your flavor), then ordered the Free Float rail tube you wanted, and has MSTN or a reputable smith complete your build to your specs.  This will most likely incur more expense, but you would'nt have to remove front sight posts (I hear it can be a pain), and modify your pre-built BM unit.  Congrats on your new project, I'm interested in hearing how it turns out.  

I personally like the Knights Long FF tube, w/ flip up gas block.  MSTN also has other great FF tubes as options.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my RIS, mounts, and aimpoint from MSTN.

I've checked out there site, but they don't really tell you which system works for an A2 20" rifle.

I bought it from Bushmaster.  I maybe paid more then I should buying direct...I guess, I just wanted to make sure I got what I wanted, and it was easy to order from their site.

I also had them permanently attach the ak break.  I had thought about getting a benny (bernie?) cooley is it?  From the jp site, but I didn't.  And now I sorta wish I had ordered a Krebs AK break.  But I didn't

Still, I'm excited to get it.  I wan't to get the free float put on before the summer.

When it's done, I'll get my brother to take some pics of both my ARs so I can put them on the pics thread.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
sorry if this is against forum rules, but...

*bump*

I really am looking for an answer to this question, and I've had so many beers tonight, I thought I'd risk bumping my own post.

=)

E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, you aren't gonna like this, but most FF Tubes such as Knights and I beleive most other Mfg's (not sure about ARMS), require the front sight post and muzzle brake/flash hider removed for install.  Maybe someone will chime in to verify or counter this.  So if you want to mod your inbound BM Post-ban 20" A2 upper-w/perm attached AK brake, this summer w/ a Free Float Long tube from Knights (typical setup for 20"), then there is some work involved.  There are probably some other Manufacturers out there that have something which will be work out for you just fine, I only have used Knights FF tubes.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
doh, you're right, i don't like that.

I need a free float tube.

I ordered that bushmast mid december, maybe I could call them, and stop them from getting too far on it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd cancel it outright, and order just the barrel w/out front sight, then shop for the other parts, more flexible this way.  Call and ask BM, if you sent them a (brand XXX) FF tube, could they do the install.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]
well i can't cancell it outright.

I want that upper bad.

i'll call them and see what i can do.

if they can do nothing, it will stay as is.

i want that upper so bad i can taste it.

and I'll add:

and it tastes like beef (or chicken), and it's whats for dinner.  eat beef!

brought to you buy a guy whos income depends on the small grain crop and the flour and feed milling industries.

=)

E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I lucked out.

I just talked to Bushmaster, and they said it shipped on Wednesday, but they did not permanently attach the break as there was no reason to do so.  It's pinned and he said it would need to be heated with an acetelyne torch, but it can come off no problem.

So does that give me more options?

Thanks,
E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top