Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 2:40:06 PM EDT
A guy gave me these because he didn't shoot .223 and told me they were tracers.  I think they are blanks because it is crimped without any bullet in it.  They are marked LC 84, primed, and seem to have powder inside when I shake them.  If they are blanks, are they same to fire in my AR?  Thanks for the help.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/Sooner67/DSC00349.jpg
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I meant to type "are they SAFE to shoot."
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah blanks, I think you need a blank firing adapter for them to cycle the action.  And even though they're blank, they're deadly at close range
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm pretty sure those are blanks.  not sure if you should shoot them though.

eta:  i was 30 seconds too late.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I meant to type "are they SAFE to shoot."

You could of easily clicked on EDIT to correct your spelling, to me they do look like blanks that I used for military training back in the early 80's

BTW, welcome to the club.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for answering my question.  I might try to pop one off this weekend at the range.

Thanks for the tip PocketG I'll remeber that next time I mess up a post.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for answering my question.  I might try to pop one off this weekend at the range.

You need to find the ammo tech sheets off the home page, and verify if those are "blank" or "grenade" blank,,,,, as you DO NOT want to fire a "Grenade" blank with a blank fire adapter in place.

You can fire both with a plain open muzzle, just be advised that the rifle will be single shot, manual reload.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I would think that 1984 blank ammo would be standard blanks, but I would want to be shure if I was going to fire it with a BFA.  Without a BFA it wouldn't be a problem, just a loud bang and possibly flash, and you would need to manually cycle the action for each shot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to find the ammo tech sheets off the home page, and verify if those are "blank" or "grenade" blank,,,,, as you DO NOT want to fire a "Grenade" blank with a blank fire adapter in place.

You can fire both with a plain open muzzle, just be advised that the rifle will be single shot, manual reload.

Just clean your rifle very well after firing blanks.  They seem to have a lot of residue compared to  the standard ammo.

We used live rounds to launch rifle grenades back in the Philippines.  The rifle grenades were designed in a way that you don't have to switch to blanks in launching them.  The rifle grenades have a bullet trap at the rear.   Rifle grenades were launched in rifles with 20" and 16" barrels only.  We never tried launching them in 14" or shorter rifles.  

The rifle grenades were discontinued, though.  They were dangerous in the sense that when you  take out the cap prior to launching it, you should check if the red indicator is up or down.  If the red indicator has popped up, you can't launch it.  The rifle grenade will just expode in front of you should you decide to launch it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top