Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2011 9:49:06 AM EDT
I am not a clean freak at all. But when I clean my guns, I feel like I turn into that person. I feel that after shooting my guns, its best to clean them thouroughly. I understand that there are those out there that feel that you dont have to clean your guns after a day of shooting.. I agree.. But I personally like to have my guns completely clean and ready for its next use..

Getting to my post point.... I have found that using Q tips is by far the best tool for cleaning. Q tips get into every nook and space that you can immagine..

This is my secret weapon... and Its mostly all I use.

Whats yours?
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I know I'll get flamed but I have found no better powder solvent (notice that I did not say lube) than WD-40. I use this in conjunction with a 20 Gauge bronze brush to clean my AR bolts with. Note I completely dry them before lube and assembly. It's cheap and it works good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know I'll get flamed but I have found no better powder solvent (notice that I did not say lube) than WD-40. I use this in conjunction with a 20 Gauge bronze brush to clean my AR bolts with. Note I completely dry them before lube and assembly. It's cheap and it works good.

Yep....  after a friend of mine left his M1A outside for almost two weeks (he got a little distracted and it slipped his mind , women you know) his op rod wouldnt even cycle
he took a new can an emptied it on it (he removed the stock) an soaked it   GOOD as new...  WD-40 good shit...
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Baby Wipes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I use these dental brushes we make at work.  Brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) works great on metal parts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Q-tips

boresnake

dental picks
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Mpro7
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#7]
For that once-in-a-while detail cleaning, I find that hot soapy water can't be beat (learned that from my dad).  Especially for 1911's.  I detail strip, put the parts in a Rubbermaid pan of hot soapy water and scrub them down with a variety of soft-ish plastic-bristle brushes.  Then I carefully decant the water over a mesh colander and rinse thoroughly with hot fresh water.  I keep them submerged while picking out one part at a time to dry and oil.  You don't want hot, oil-stripped parts to be exposed to the air more than a few seconds.

It's easier than it sounds and incredibly effective.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Brake cleaner (non-chlorinated)
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Please see your IMs, Roadhawk
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#10]
BC's Bore Scrubber, isopropyl alcohol, my kids' used toothbrushes, and Q-tips.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Gun scrubber, CLP, brushes, jags and patches. I get it clean enough and put it away.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
simonize ICE car wax
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Baby Wipes.

Those work great for cleaning my silencer blast chamber and mount before packing up.  They grab a lot of carbon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baby Wipes.

Those work great for cleaning my silencer blast chamber and mount before packing up.  They grab a lot of carbon.

I really wish you guys didn't tell me this.  Now my wife's gonna kill me.  I'll be in the nursery cleaning my guns now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I use bambo skewers for the little nooks and crannies.
I'll use them with a small patch.
Also work great for applying one drop of oil to the "one drop of oil" spots on my Glocks (I don't always keep the little straw applicator attached...)
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#16]
string trimmer line.  I make a loop by melting with a soldering iron.  Field expedient cleaning solution for pennies.  Cheap stocking stuffers.  If you loop two together, you cut your bore cleaning time in half with the push pull action..  

I have cheap dental tools I obtained at a swap meet that are great for cleaning hard deposits from the bolt face and extractor.  Just don't go crazy with it.

I keep old t-shirts to cut up for rags and patches.  

Pipe cleaners with stiff bristles are available if you look.  Great for the firing pin channel.  

.308 brass makes a great carbon scraper for the AR bolt.

Cut off .308 brass makes a great bore guide for the Garand.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Little paint brushes, like the the ones that come with water colors. They can bought in a package of several with many textures, shape, and sizes. They work great with oil or brake cleaner or whatever else.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
string trimmer line.  I make a loop by melting with a soldering iron.  Field expedient cleaning solution for pennies.  Cheap stocking stuffers.  If you loop two together, you cut your bore cleaning time in half with the push pull action..  

I have cheap dental tools I obtained at a swap meet that are great for cleaning hard deposits from the bolt face and extractor.  Just don't go crazy with it.

I keep old t-shirts to cut up for rags and patches.  

Pipe cleaners with stiff bristles are available if you look.  Great for the firing pin channel.  

.308 brass makes a great carbon scraper for the AR bolt.

Cut off .308 brass makes a great bore guide for the Garand.

very nice

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV.  Yes, it is also very effective on all dirt.  Cruddy bores?  Perfect.  Bolt tails?  Perfect.  Carriers?  Nothing better.

Use a brush soaked in it.  Nylon bore brushes are perfect as they won't be attacked.  Standard M16 combo brush for all other places.  Soak, then scrub and rinse in hot water.  Pat dry, oil and reassemble.  Because this solvent dissolves in water, cleanup is fast.  

I've used it to clean diesel injectors when all other solvents failed.  Yes, it cuts carbon better than non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

$10 for 8 ounces.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Brake cleaner (non-chlorinated), wipe down, then relube
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Brake Cleaner, then Gunzilla, then Finish Line Dry Bike Lube where required.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Q-tips

boresnake

dental picks

That's pretty much all I use, along with a flannel rag and CLP
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Brake Cleaner, then Gunzilla, then Finish Line Dry Bike Lube where required.

A buddy of mine that I work with tried Gunzilla a few months back, and he still raves on how good the stuff is.

Welcome to the Forums

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mpro7

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#25]
A sponge and CLP
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Kerosene and a toothbrush.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#27]
make-up brush
3 inch paint brush
toothbrush
q-tips
dental pick

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Ballistol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV.  Yes, it is also very effective on all dirt.  Cruddy bores?  Perfect.  Bolt tails?  Perfect.  Carriers?  Nothing better.

Use a brush soaked in it.  Nylon bore brushes are perfect as they won't be attacked.  Standard M16 combo brush for all other places.  Soak, then scrub and rinse in hot water.  Pat dry, oil and reassemble.  Because this solvent dissolves in water, cleanup is fast.  

I've used it to clean diesel injectors when all other solvents failed.  Yes, it cuts carbon better than non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

$10 for 8 ounces.  

Where do you get pro shot ?

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#30]
AP brush, CLP, bore snake, chamber brush....that is all you need.

Stainless barrels get some shooters choice now and then on a patch/brass rod.

Lube is whatevers handy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Hot water and Dawn's dishwashing liquid.  Safe, effective, non-toxic, and cheap!
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$10 for 8 ounces.  

Where do you get pro shot ?

Gun shops, on line, gun shows..Gander Mountain.  Any place selling Pro Shot Products.  8 ounce bottles is the smallest.

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#33]
MPro7 Cleaner
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#34]
A little elbow grease and a lot of LOVE.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I have found 2

the dishwasher and the VOLCANIC hot water at Knob Creek Range in kentucky. I swear to god the water there comes out at 211.9!!!

I have washed my glock pistols in the dishwasher more than once.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ballistol.

Good shit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#37]
After a good cleaning I use mil-spec LSA oil which has teflon in it and combine that with moly paste on hi friction areas like the charging handle,BCG slides and bolt cam pin ect... .Dont like the CLP that much, but it is good out in the field when you need something in a pinch to keep it up and running. For cleaning; hot water and dish soap or Spray-9,WD-40 and wipe down, something for the bore usually HOPPYS and KROIL followed by the above lubes wiping dry the outside and bore/chamber,leaving everything else fairly wet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#39]
hot soapy water has been a common response here
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Dish soap. Cuts right through the oil and greese.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Dental picks and Chemtool or brake cleaner for the tight spots.  

Best solvent?  GM Top Engine Cleaner. Get it at the Chevy house.  Same thing as Shooters Choice at a fraction of the price.  Get the liquid, not the foam.  Nothing else has touched any of my guns in 20 years.  FYI - if you have a shotgun, nothing gets the plastic wad residue out of the barrels like this stuff.  Eats copper for lunch, too.  Won't hurt any finish on wood or steel.  Leaves a oily residue for rust prevention.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#42]
No one recommended Hoppies #9! Come on guys that stuff works great! I use that stuff for EVERYTHING! Never let me down. When done a little CLP and it is good to go. I put my BCG in an ultrasonic cleaner with some odorless mineral spirits and the carbon flies off!
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Hoppe's #9 is good stuff, I don't use it on my rifle's barrel cause it's chrome lined. It should be fine on the BCG.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Whats wrong with Hoppe's and Chrome lined barrels? Never heard of any issues with that?

Quoted:

Hoppe's #9 is good stuff, I don't use it on my rifle's barrel cause it's chrome lined. It should be fine on the BCG.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No one recommended Hoppies #9! Come on guys that stuff works great! I use that stuff for EVERYTHING! Never let me down. When done a little CLP and it is good to go. I put my BCG in an ultrasonic cleaner with some odorless mineral spirits and the carbon flies off!

You missed my post it's ok, more votes for it better than no votes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just wondering why? Hoppys won't harm the chrome.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

THIS !!
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Post? Sorry brain fart on my end!

Quoted:

Quoted:

You missed my post it's ok, more votes for it better than no votes.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I've had good success with the SLIP line of products.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Absolutely.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top