Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:32:58 PM EDT
How do you like to carry your extra mags? Chest pouches, load bearing vests, belt mounted pouches, leg pouches. etc.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:48:36 PM EDT
For what?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:20:23 PM EDT
I pretty much prefer a Load bearing vest if I'm doing a lot of shooting away from the car out in the field. I would also wear the vest to "Kick down doors". For range work, a Kydex single belt pouch is all I use.

I have LBS' with traditional Mil. 30 round ammo pouches and an Eagle 2 Mag leg pouch that attaches to my belt as well. This is a little cooler than the vest on really hot days.

Application specific question really.

Tack
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jmkrick:
How do you like to carry your extra mags? Chest pouches, load bearing vests, belt mounted pouches, leg pouches. etc.

It is heavily dependant on what I'm doing. I go with everything from fully loaded hard armor, to an extra mag in a cargo pocket, and just about everything in between.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:49:18 PM EDT

Like Tack & Stickman said, it depends on what I'm doing.
For SRT work, two 30s in an Eagle thigh rig, & two more 30s in a pouch on the front of my tactical armor.
I also keep a milsurp bandolier in the trunk of my cruiser with four 30s loaded. That is my SHTF, bugout package, in case I don't have time to suit up with the Level 4 armor. If I'm in my POV, a bandolier of 30s is with the rifle....

As Pat Rogers says, "the mission drives the equipment, not the other way around", or something like that.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:41:48 AM EDT
I was thinking along the lines of SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:43:15 AM EDT

I was thinking along the lines of SHTF.

You're going to have to be more specific. What does "SHTF" mean to you? Are we talking about a home invasion? riots? invasion by the muslim hordes? martians landing?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:08:24 AM EDT
My SHTF scenario is nothing more than home-defense against a burglary or other nefarious deed. Blue Helmets, bears, zombies and ninjas are scarce in these parts.

Relying on my carbine as the first tool for first contact, I opted for a drop-leg platform attached to a duty belt that I already had but wasn't using. This was only after talking to a contractor that worked overseas and receiving his input on the matter.

Reasoning: I already own a duty-belt and such because of work. I have a good pistol already setup for defensive needs, again for work. Why complicate the matter with a chest rig?

Now, getting suited up to meet the badguy is just a matter of snapping the belt around my waist and grabbing my carbine. Easy.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:16:11 AM EDT
A decent chest rig or LBV takes no more time to put on than a belt and leg rig....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:19:21 AM EDT
I used to keep a GI belt handing in the closet with two Bianchi single 30 round magazine pouches, a double handgun pouch, and a holster for my nightstand gun. All of the mag pouches, both handgun and rifle, had fully loaded mags with good quality ammo. Seemed like a good idea to me at the time and there's really no reason I don't still do that.

Lately when training and competing I just use my CCW holster and mag pouch for the handgun, and stick a spare 30 rounder in my rear pocket. Training and competing has taught me that it would be a really bad situation if 56 rounds of 5.56 wouldn't get me through it. I guess that's why I got away from the GI duty belt.

I used to use a Spectre Gear chest rig that held 3 AR mags, but it took me awhile to get in and out of it and I never seemed to need more than one.

The caveat here is that I'm not LEO or military and don't need a major load out. If I did I suspect that I'd have more time to gear up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:51:39 PM EDT
As said - depends why you need it. For my SHTF and get the hell out of Dodge (maybe never to returnh
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:36:23 PM EDT
I like to carry my spare ammo in magazines
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:39:13 PM EDT
in a duffel bag
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:21:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 12:26:55 AM EDT by danhits]
Ammo in a can for the man on the go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:42:39 AM EDT
HSGI DACH for SHTF over my Second Chance. 12 AR mags. 2 pistol mags + how many I can fit in the zippered storage area. I have some LBE stuff too
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:23:49 AM EDT
I use my Interceptor Body Armor and Molle Pouches that attach to my IBA by Federal Textiles.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:25:11 AM EDT
All your methods for on person. Got SHTF cans with assortments of loaded mags for each AR.
Got an E-350 passenger van with front and back rear passenger seats removed leaving seating for 8 with 2 large landing bays for gear.

Got racks for ammo cans and duffles for long range.

I will stick by the worlds largest personal survival kit (my house) but live in the east near several nuke plants. Peach bottom, Salem, Three Mile Island and others that may make me BO while dosing up on Potassium Iodide.

Got tactical shotguns and sporting clay bags with nasty assortments of 12 guage death. Those bags will hold 100 shells over the shoulder.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:01:45 PM EDT
Quick answer to your question: I keep 12 loaded 30 rounders in my blackhawk load bearing vest.

Long answer: For a SHTF situation, I keep a Spec Ops "T.H.E. Pack" loaded up with spare clothing, first aid kit, some dried foods, a couple knives, batteries, a couple flashlights, a couple radios, blah blah blah. My loaded pack is basically "wearing" my load bearing vest (the vest is wrapped around my pack and zipped up). This way, if time is short and I gotta get outa dodge fast, all I have to do is grab the carry handle on the top of my pack and take off; everythings right there.

I also have a smaller bug out kit in the trunk of my car in case I'm not home when the proverbial "sh*t" hits said fan.

And I gotta say it looks to me like a lot of people are confused. A home invasion is a home invasion. When we're talking about a shtf situation we're talking something REALLY REALLY bad. Like mess your pants bad. As in muslim, red chinese, mexican, or zombie hordes, riots, revolution . . . If you have a couple extra loaded magazines on a belt, and you think you're ready for a shtf situation, you might want to re-evaluate your way of thinking. my 2 cents. not trying to upset or insult anybody. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:22:06 PM EDT
Belt pouches/cartridge belt, like the good old days.

Cheers,
Bob Ash
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:14:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 5:01:06 PM EDT by in_burrito]
on second thought...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:37:15 PM EDT
Blackhawk makes a shouder pouch that holds 6 30rd mags and that's what I like. It's perfect for when/if you have to grab and go. It sells for around $50 but if you look around you can find it for about $40
Top Top