Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/8/2006 11:10:19 AM EDT
I was looking at a guy's AR the other day, and he had a rubber peice that fits around the rear pin to keep the lower tight with the upper. Does anyone know what they're called, and where I can get one? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:13:46 AM EDT
it's called an accuwedge you can get them most places for less then 5 dollars.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:34:58 AM EDT
Accu-Wedge

GTS
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:39:14 AM EDT
You might want to look at the JP Tensioning Pin. It is another solution.

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:41:06 AM EDT
JP Tensioning Pin
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:42:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 11:42:32 AM EDT by ogcujo]
Don't mean to hijack but are the Accu-Wedges any good? JP Tensioning Pin vs Accu-Wedge which is beter?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:46:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tom1000rr:
JP Tensioning Pin

It's a split pin that lets you tighten up a sloppy upper-lower fit. There's a picture of one about a third of the way down this page.

An alternative method involves using an o-ring.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:53:39 AM EDT
I have heard that the wedge is an absolute must. Ive also heard that they make the weapon more accurate since it takes the slop out of the upper. Then again Ive heard the complete opposite about them too. I bought one mostly cause I was ordering somthing already, figured it cant hurt and it did tighten up the play to ziltch. I use a very similar product in my SKS, but they call it a recoil buffer. Far as I can tell using these things does not hurt anything, and they are cheap.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:09:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
I was looking at a guy's AR the other day, and he had a rubber peice that fits around the rear pin to keep the lower tight with the upper. Does anyone know what they're called, and where I can get one? Thanks.

Sounds like an O-ring.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:36:20 PM EDT

I have heard that the wedge is an absolute must. Ive also heard that they make the weapon more accurate since it takes the slop out of the upper. Then again Ive heard the complete opposite about them too. I bought one mostly cause I was ordering somthing already, figured it cant hurt and it did tighten up the play to ziltch. I use a very similar product in my SKS, but they call it a recoil buffer. Far as I can tell using these things does not hurt anything, and they are cheap.

It will NOT make the rifle more accurate. It may, however, make it easier for you to shoot the rifle a bit more accurately, especially if the piece you're shooting has a fair amount of slop between the upper and lower. It does make a sloppy upper/lower piece more solid feeling in the firing position, and that certainly will make it feel better to the shooter. more comfortable feel certainly can't hurt ability to hold, aim, fire.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:42:54 PM EDT
You can buy one from most place for around $5 or you can get a dozen from Lippy for $12 + shipping for a lifetime supply.

Link
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:17:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shamayim:

It will NOT make the rifle more accurate. It may, however, make it easier for you to shoot the rifle a bit more accurately, especially if the piece you're shooting has a fair amount of slop between the upper and lower. It does make a sloppy upper/lower piece more solid feeling in the firing position, and that certainly will make it feel better to the shooter. more comfortable feel certainly can't hurt ability to hold, aim, fire.

\

This is exactly correct. It only makes the rifle feel better. I eventually took mine out, because I came to the conclusion that the slop in that particular rifle wasn't that bad and it made takedown annoying.

They're really cheap though. So if it floats your boat, go ahead and get one and see if you like it. Grease the rear takedown pin if you put one in.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:38:08 PM EDT
Accu Wedge, that's it. thanks guys.

Nick.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:11:02 PM EDT
Not too long ago when I shot High Power as a kid, I used one in an old Colt's Match rifle to take the slop out of it. I no longer shoot High Power and I don't keep an AccuWedge in any of my black/Kryloned rifles. They make taking down the weapon a royal PITA.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:34:38 PM EDT
I have one in my Colt SP1. After 21 years, it had some Upper/Lower play. Tightened it right up.
As for being a PITA cleaning, in my experience, the only difference is that it takes just a bit more pressure than before to move the rear take down pin. I dont find that to be a PITA.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 2:45:05 PM EDT by I-M-A-WMD]
I suspect a fellow could wedge 1 or 2 soft foam ear plugs under the rear TD lug ensuring to allow the plugs, around half or so of the plug, to expand behind the lug. My guess is this would not only take out the slop, but it would be an emergency set of plugs if the need should arise. I'd try it myself, but all my uppers are properly mated to the lowers w/ zero shift.

Take care,

Sly
Top Top