Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 8:45:39 AM EDT
When training at the range, what is a realistic benchmark for marksmanship?
What is suitable preparation groundwork for carbine shooters?

What I am asking is – in different life skills there is always a benchmark that separates novice from a competent (not expert) practitioner.

Breaking down training into 3 categories (perhaps this is mistaken but simplifies things for discussion) close range, mid, extended.

What are the opinions ( Mil.- Leo- Everyone else )  as to measures of proficiency?

Obviously civilian gun fights start fast and end fast so speed must be part of the dynamic.  

This question comes up because I just qualified for my CCW in NV and the process was unimpressive he
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn - i put this in wrong area.
Shit , still learning to post here -sry.

Is there a way i can move it to general area or does a mod have to do it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's what I recommend as a progam to develop fighting oriented weapons skills:

1. Take a fighting pistol class from a good school/trainer
2. Take Force on Force pistol training from a good school/trainer
3. Take a fighting rifle class from a good school/trainer
4. Pay training "installments" each month in the form of focussed drills, e.g. those done in class
5. Develop marksmanship/gun-handling/speed by shooting IPSC/USPSA and 3Gun matches.

Almost all the Gunsite "school drills" can be adapted to a carbine.

A few months ago there was a thread which contained a practical set of shooting tests, including box drills, mid range, and first-hits at long range.

I hesitate to say there is just one benchmark which differentiates shooters, however, IMO, basic gun-handling and operation, ability to clear jams at speed are required for simple competence.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the response -
Being new to the "Instructed  type" training could any suggestions and/or contact info of qualified trainers in southwest region be offered? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
There are many, but I recommend Tactical Response because they are relatively inexpensive and travel to do classes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thanks for the response -
Being new to the "Instructed  type" training could any suggestions and/or contact info of qualified trainers in southwest region be offered? Thanks

You might want to the AR15.com Training Forum.  It listed in the GENERAL area near the bottom.  There are many options in the SW, the Triaining Forum should have the schools listed and you can get feedback about them.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top