Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2003 10:41:43 PM EDT

Absolute lightest weight. In ounces. Anybody?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably the super LW from BM unless you are talking about short barrelled uppers. You could install the BM SLW on an A1 or lopro type upper receiver for additional weight reduction.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the super lightweight barrel with a carbon fiber upper would be lighter?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Lightest you can go is to use a flattop upper, the Bushy LW barrel (with shaved front sight), and their aluminum V-Match Free float tube.  Shave a bit (0.5 oz) by using a Colt half circle bolt carrier.  Only problem with this setup is it requires optics.

This upper (sans bolt & carrier) should weigh around 2.3lbs, in comparison a standard 16" HBAR/A2 upper weighs in at 3.5 lbs (weights are approximate - but the relation ship will remain the same).  You could save another 0.1 lbs if you send the upper to KKF to have him remove the foward assist & patch over it.

IIRC Bushmaster has said their Carbon Fiber line will interface with standard lowers.  When they are available they will most likely be the lightest.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
My flat-top Olympic FAR-16 upper weighs 60.1 ounces.

I have it on a standard lower with an A2 stock. The rifle (dry) weighs 101.2 ounces (6.33 lbs)

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Cavalry Arms makes a carbon fiber lower.
The old Carbon-15, which is now owned by bushmaster weighed less than my desert eagle pistol. (unloaded)
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
the Cavalry Arms Cav-15 does not use carbon fiber...it is glass-filled nylon.

all plastics are not created equal....
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
you guys are making me jealous, my Lo Pro 16' has a bull barrel and I weighted the stock to counter-balence the heavy barrel so with a scope and scope riser it comes out to about 12.5lbs
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, I didnt mean barreled upper. Just upper. From Pin to pin, no barrel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry, I didnt mean barreled upper. Just upper. From Pin to pin, no barrel.
View Quote

M16 upper (no foward assist) is the lightest at 0.5 lbs

Next are the flattop uppers (with foward assist) at 0.6lbs.

I don't have any figures on the carbon fiber uppers as they are not available yet.

BTW DPMS makes a non-foward assist flattop upper (also lacks the ejection port cover).  This could be made to be lighter.  Its thicker than the standard flattop so it really doesn't save you much weight - but IIRC KKF (in the Industry section) would lighten up those thick DMPS flattops and make it a very lightweight upper.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Les Baer makes a flat-top upper w/o the fwd assist.  Should be lighter than the DPMS Lo-Pro.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Forest!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
The carbon 15 is by far the lightest, at 4 lbs even for the whole rifle, but it felt too light to me. Ridiculously light, like a toy.

Bushmaster C15

Weight of Rifle w/o magazine or compensator: 4 lbs. [1.81 kg]

Rifle is Part #AZ-C15R21
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Hesse Arms (now Vulcan arms) makes a carbon fiber upper receiver sans forward assist. Despite the name, the receivers (upper and lower) are supposed to be good.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top