Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2003 2:32:25 PM EDT
Since I first heard of and then saw the .50 Beowulf, I have craved one. A 'really' heavy hitting short rifle just sounds like a kick to hunt with.

Now I have seen some on the .458 Socom, but I have been out of the loop for months (long story) and want to find out more.

Can you guys give me some lowdown on the most popular heavy bullet guns? Not the russian rifle rounds or the like... just these heavy bullet ones.

Some ballistic info would be nice too!

Many thanks
Mark
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Some ballistic info would be nice too!
View Quote

Currently working on that part.

My personal preference is to the .458 SOCOM.  The brass is reloadable (unlike the .499 LW), factory loaded ammo is available from Corbon, and there is a HUGE variety of bullets available ranging from a 250gr to a 600gr.  You can choose a load that hits about 2000fps or go for a tame 800fps.

Neither of the other 2 big bores (.50 Beowulf and .499 LW) have the numerous options that the .458 have.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Where can I get some more information on the .458 SOCOM?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Here and here...

[url]www.tromix.com[/url]
[url]www.teppojutsu.com[/url]

Also, do a search here on arfcom for 458... tons of posts.

hth,
--LS
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
[URL=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=167925&w=searchPop]458 vs. 50[/url]

I think I linked to the above thread all the ones I could find that pertained.

There are a few more that I missed.

458 SOCOM if you reload, or plan to reload or want to use the 300gr HP stuff from Corbon.  I went this route, after realizing I wouldn't actually be reloading.

I have the dies, the brass, the projectiles...just no drive to reload.  The Corbon loads will get you close or under MOA at 100yds.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
458 SOCOM if you reload, or plan to reload or want to use the 300gr HP stuff from Corbon.  I went this route, after realizing I wouldn't actually be reloading.

View Quote

Ditto
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top