Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
5/28/2020 10:18:12 PM
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:43:26 PM EDT
Hello all. I am building an AR and need advice regarding the selection of a bolt carrier.
Questions:
1)Of the many different manufacturers, who makes the best and most reliable bolt carrier for the money?
2)Is it true that you can in fact have an M16 bolt carrier in your AR? (I was told by an FFL that it was not illegal) If this is the case, does the extra weight of the carrier aid in reliability? (RRA enhanced bolt carrier?)

I would appreciate your insights.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:56:36 PM EDT
Don't listen to what others say or might know.  An M16 bolt carrier is NOT legal to have in your AR.  You're not allowed to have any machine gun part in your rifle at any time upper or lower.

Most carriers are pretty reliable now a days.  RRA ones are good for the money.   You can also get some really nice match carriers from Young Manufacturing that are chromed.  DPMS also sells ones chromed or Titanium finish.   I pefer chrome ones as they are much easier to clean.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 7:59:16 PM EDT by AK_Mike]
1) M16 Carrier
2) Yes, it's legal, with certain restrictions (you can't have the rest of the parts needed to make your AR fully auto)

Before anyone gets into the legality discussion, take it to the M16 carrier thread, don't waste space here.  Do you OWN research instead of what I or bubba convey.

There are other good carriers such as the LBC carrier which has the weight of the M16 carrier without the stigma, as well as other enhanced design features, but the original design was meant to be used with the M16 carrier.  Any carrier that's lighter is usually going to be less reliable under normal circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:10:35 PM EDT
If you stick with the standard carrier from say RRA or LMT, you will be fine.

Matt Carper
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:54:12 AM EDT
Oh no, not this shit again
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 4:44:53 PM EDT by DevL]
Is it true 9mm ARs have ONLY full auto carriers?  I wrote the ATF and called them and told them I was running an M16 carrier and was never told it was illegal... I wonder why that was?  Noone has EVER been prosecuted for it (since its not illegal anyway) so you have to be an absolute moron to believe its illegal to run an M16 carrier.  I show EVERY LEO I bump into my M16 carrier and never have had an issue, I told the ATF in writing and on the phone I had an M16 carrier and noone came to my door.  This is a felony that can get you 10 years if its illegal... I am not in prison.  Hmmm...

Best carrier for the money is Colt.  Best made is the Smith/LBC unit.  I run an M16 Colt bolt/carrier in my LMT.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:25:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DevL:
Is it true 9mm ARs have ONLY full auto carriers?

Not sure, but my LEO 6450 has a full auto carrier from the factory...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:45:55 PM EDT
ok, so

Who has had a carrier fail?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:47:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ponomo:
Don't listen to what others say or might know.  An M16 bolt carrier is NOT legal to have in your AR.  You're not allowed to have any machine gun part in your rifle at any time upper or lower.

Most carriers are pretty reliable now a days.  RRA ones are good for the money.   You can also get some really nice match carriers from Young Manufacturing that are chromed.  DPMS also sells ones chromed or Titanium finish.   I pefer chrome ones as they are much easier to clean.

Here we go again..................
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:15:18 AM EDT
I have seen several Bushmaster bolt carriers fail due to the gas key bolts not being properly staked on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:35:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Full-Auto:
I have seen several Bushmaster bolt carriers fail due to the gas key bolts not being properly staked on.

Thats not exactly a carrier fail, more of an installation error?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:46:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Timanator:

I would agree with that, but I guess you would have to define what failure is.  To me, failure is a broken part that has no fix - a busted bolt at the cam pin, for example.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:34:47 AM EDT
Yep, I agree with that 100%. I have never seen a Carrier that fail(The part it's self and not teh attached pieces)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:09:21 AM EDT
Don't fuck around.  Colt M16.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:36:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Timanator:

The Nuclear Power Plant in South Florida had all of their brand new Bushmaster carbines fail due to the gas keys not being staked on properly causing jams shortly after the weapons were put into service.

When you buy a new car and the brakes fail because they were not installed properly, do you call it a failure or an installation error? Guess it depends on if you were the poor guy driving the car  
Top Top