Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2002 2:32:36 PM EDT
I am going jack rabbit hunting(or killing I guess because we don't eat 'em) in a few weeks and would like to know what .223 would fragment the best on them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Try the 40gr VMAX.  It should fragment almost upon impact, and it may not even exit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Any fast polymer tip, soft point or hollow point in the 40 to 60gr weight is going to blow the stuffing out of Mr. Jackrabbit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If you look around the threads there are lots of people here who swear by Winchester's generic 45gr Varment load you can buy at WallMart.

Its cheep, fast, and there are a couple guys here reporting that their ARs shoot MOA or close to it with this non-match mass produced round.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If their Texas jack rabbits i'd use a .308, .223's just gonna piss them off.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Best stop I ever saw on a Jack rabbit was in South Texas when a friend of mine used 12ga with bird shot.  We stalked the rabbit in the tall grass till I spotted it trying to be still and not be noticed.  I had to actually convince my friend it was actually the rabbit because he thought it was a bush.  He shot it square front-on in the face at 20 feet and blew the rabbit off its feet and the rabbit did a full back flip landing on its belly and the whole front of the rabbits head was missing.  I was truly amazed.  

That said use a ballistic tip round 55 grain or under.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#6]
ditto on what armdlbrl said,i have gotten 1" groups with the 45 grn varmit stuff winchester makes.
josam
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I think any .223 would do for jack killin. I shot a cotton tail with Winchester fmj and the thing ACTUALY flew 3' in the air. I've never seen that before.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Anything you can hit'em with. I was shooting squirrels on the groung from a tree condo at maybe 80yd with my 7.5" and suppressor, hit just above shoulder, clean in and out, they drop right there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#9]
For an animal as small as a jackrabbit, anything .223 will do.

I have used Wolf, S&B, Q3131A, .410ga, v-max...

Not one shot has failed to drop the bunny instantly.  The V-Max produces the most mess, but I did have a 3' jump into the air with Wolf.

Use whatever you find accurate.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
O comn people.

ANY .223 round is going to take a rabbit out!

Some will just be more messy then others.

A .223 for a bunny is like a .50 on a human.

Do you really need a ballistic tipped .50 to take out a human or will a FMJ do?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top