Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 4:53:52 PM EDT
OK first of all I have a Bushmaster M4 14.5" w/ a permanately attached izzy flash suppressor so removing the FSP is not an option for me.

Now I have the plasic stock bushmaster handguards and was wandering what the advantages are, besides mounting lights and extras on, of other tubes. For example Troy makes a MRF-C but I would have to cut off my delta ring. Other companies make 2 piece aluminum handguards.

Now I also have the factory handguard cap on which I would either have to use with some 2 piece handguard, hopefully compatable, or remove it, which I would have no idea how to.

What company makes 2 piece handguards that would work with my current setup and are quality made. Cost is not an issue. But also like my origional question, what are the advantages of getting rid of my stock ones?

yes it is a newbie question, but I am a newbie.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:11:25 PM EDT
The idea is the handguards don't touch the barrel. Supposedly, it's more accurate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 5:22:37 PM EDT by jackal2001]
that would be for free floating only, correct?

So if I got just aluminum 2 piece snap ons or the Troy MRF-C, that would make no difference compared to my factory handguards?

What about heat dissipation? Would I get better cooling moving to aluminum 2 piece?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:43:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 5:45:01 PM EDT by M4Madness]
The main advantage would be rails to mount accessories. Some of the two-piece handguards are considered free-float even though they don't require removal of the barrel nut. This is due to the fact that they clamp down on the outside of the barrel nut somehow and that is their only point of contact. It's safe to assume that they will dissipate heat well also, as they have lots of vent holes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:47:10 PM EDT
do you know which ones do this?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:50:16 PM EDT
Probably the Troy MRF-C. They snap to the barrel nut, but like I said you have to cut off your delta ring.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:50:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PigGuy:
The idea is the handguards don't touch the barrel. Supposedly, it's more accurate.

To fully float your barrel it must not have anything touching it.

The barrel is like a large tuning fork. It resonates and has sensitive harmonics.

When the barrel is free floating ....nothing interferes with the harmonics of the barrel

therefore it is more consistant and more accurate

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:29:53 PM EDT
I have a Troy MRF-C and am very satisfied. Removing the delta ring took me 30 minutes with a Dremel tool, and I am not particularly skilled with shop tools.

The mounting advantage was the primary reason I installed a forearm rail. I can control the rifle better with a vertical grip attached to the rail, than by grasping the standard handguard. All handguards attached to the barrel (and to a lesser degree those free floated) rapidly become hot and uncomfortable to hold. A rail attached grip distances your hand from the barrel so heat is less an issue.

And, of course it allows easy mounting of lights, lasers, bipods, etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:38:01 AM EDT
AlanD
Can you please post some pics?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:15:22 AM EDT
a permanently mounted flash hider or compensator doesnt mean you are fubar. it means drilling out the spot-weld and finding that pin. before you do this please take your lower to your neighbors house or somewhere else. I thought I was in the same boat like you but it was different for me, mine was put on by silver paste so all I did was heat it with a mapp torch and spun it right off.

get the free float, dont go with the two-piece. I had trouble with mine and it actually broke so I went the free float route, and now completely happy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:55:00 AM EDT
Per bushmaster, I think the izzy is pinned and welded.
What brand 2-piece did you have problems with?
Top Top