Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2009 11:54:08 PM EDT
Gents I am building my First AR I have 2 Spikes stripped lowers (1 for target SPR, one for 16" Carbine HD rig) and need to decide on Triggers, uppers and lets face it everything else.
I need to get the LPK and trigger as well as the Stock
here is my proposed Parts list
Spikes Lower ––––Have that
the best trigger and LPK...???????????
Magpul PRS stock assy

looking hard at either a White Oak Armament Varmint upper Or assembling a saber defence barreled upper, or possibly off the shelf like RRA or Stag upper in 18-20" 1-7 or 1-8 twist

LaRue SPR scope mount and Nikon 6x18x40 Buckmaster

I want to Buy once Cry once esp on the trigger and barrel/upper

who makes a very good trigger I have heard unsettling rumors on CMC and Timney as well as RRA 2 stage

who makes the best?
JP, Giessele, etc...
What say the Hive?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
For the money, the RRA NM is a very good trigger. That said, the Geissele Hi-Speed is arguably the best trigger available.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard very good things about the giessele, but you have to take the time to isntall it correctly according to the guy who installed it.  

I have 2 ARs with Jard's one 2# and one 1.5#.  I like them both and they have worked great.  Easy to install and adjust.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:23:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I like a trigger with very little to no take up and around and 2 1/2 - 4 lb pull
something similar to My Colt and Kimber.
But it absolutly has to last and not go soft or follow /double  like I said buy once cry once, I cant afford 2 $200 triggers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got a timney 3# single stage in my spikes lower yesterday got it from midwayusa in 3 days for 219.00 seems to be a good trigger was very easy to install took about 2 min
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a JP. No better trigger out there for any price. RRA's are pretty crappy but they're cheap. CMC's were recalled. Jewells start doubling. Timney, meh. Gisselle's are a possibility, but I'm not into a $230 trigger with built in creep.

I like my AR triggers to break just like my tuned 1911's and tuned Smith revolvers on single action. Zero creep, zero over travel, and under 3 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the JP complete fire control group.  Get the oversized pins to really keep things precise and repeatable.  A really great single stage trigger system.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you adjust the JP in place, or do you need to remove it?

(please forgive the stoopid noob questions but Uncle
assembled my last AR/M platform rifles, and that was 20+
years ago)

I really like the Modular handguards JP makes
will this trigger hold up over time?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
The JP isn't really "adjustable" per se. You set it up and you're done with it. You can swap springs to make it heavier or lighter, but it isn't like you're constantly fiddling with screws on the fly. Read the Instruction Manual and it explains everything very well.

The JP will definitely hold up over time. It's the top IPSC trigger and those guys go through many thousands of rounds. I've never heard of a single complaint. Plus JP gives back a TON of stuff to the sport, not many guys do that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Rick,

Have you heard of AR Gold triggers http://www.americantrigger.com/?  I have 2 on order.  You may want to use them.  Only AR trigger with a sear interceptor.  Very precise and very adjustable.  I too am building 2 WOA a 1/8 & 1/12 varmints, and using the AR Gold triggers.

Phil
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for a JP trigger.  Once setup it is a very nice trigger.  I have 2 of them on builds and really like the setup.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My 2 cents about the JP trigger.  Make sure you read the instructions carefully re: how much you have to grind off, locktite and what equipment they recommend to install it.  Would I buy another, no but that doesn't mean they are not adequate, its just the installation and equipment needed wasn't fully listed prior to my purchase.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I've very much enjoyed my JP trigger. It did take a little futzin to get it adjusted properly (no grinding, just adjustment). I would think that most anyone that finds themselves in this particular forum (building the AK) has the necessary skill to install the trigger, it's not scary and the instructions are well written. Virtually everyone that has shot the rifle has made positive comments on this trigger.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been using the WOA/RRA 2 stage but after installing a Geissele today in my service rifle I have to say  Geissele. Outstanding...
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got done putting a Jard 2 lb single stage trigger in my Bushmaster Varminter.  There is zero creep and it shoots great.  The trigger is different then a factory trigger and takes a little longer while putting it in.  The one thing I really found out was pay attention to #17 on the instruction sheet.  Once everything is installed turn the 1/8 inch allen wrench to the clockwise until the hammer trips.  Then back off 7/8 of a turn counter clockwise.  Readjust the disconnector and your set.  I'm very impressed with it and just got done running 30 rounds through it with out any problems.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top