Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2003 3:12:42 PM EDT
Recently purchased two Mega lowers, one is setup with a 16" A2 upper.

The other is going to be a target/varmint gun with a 20-24" SS bull barrel.

I'd like to get a Mega upper to match to the lower, but have never assembled an upper.

How hard would this be?

What will I need as far as parts and tools?

Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Parts need:
-upper receiver with forward assist and ejection port cover assemblies
-bolt & bolt carrier assemblies
-charging handle
-barrel assembly (includes front sight tower/gas block & barrel nut)
-gas tube with pin
-delta ring kit (w/snap ring & weld spring)
-handguards

You'll need either barrel vise blocks (to clamp the barrel) or an action block (to hold the upper rec'r), plus a barrel wrench, and a vise.  These tools are for tightening the barrel nut onto the upper.

This isn't difficult to do, but if you're only building one, it's cheaper to just buy a complete upper.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
M4-Guy,

Thanks for the information.

I'm thinking for now that I'll just save and buy a complete upper.

I was hoping to over time collect and assemble pieces, but i'm not that patient.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I know what you mean.
BTW, I've never heard of Mega.  Do they have a website?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
They are for sale over on the EE board.

Very nice, and reasonably priced.  I really want the varmint upper to use the matching Mega upper.  I think Clinton of Carrico'z Armory will probably be building me a complete upper.

Below is one of the pictures of the matched lower and upper.

Here is the link to the thread.  [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=153544[/url]

Steve
[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/556X45/up1.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Steve,

I bought two Mega lowers and now I'm thinking of buying two matching uppers also.  I think I'll go ahead and build them since I've never done it before and want to give it a try.  If you want, I think Clinton will assemble them into complete uppers if you don't feel like doing it yourself.  Just email him and ask.

Marc
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The best advice I can give you is if you’re new to the ar-15, buy the first rifle built. You can use it for a reference.  Once you are up to speed on the rifle and how everything fits, buy a set of tools and build the second.

If you’re like the rest of use here, you will be building, stripping, and changing parts at will in no time. Having the tools to do so will save you from having to send a rifle off to have it fixed, or rebuilt once the time comes.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top