Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2005 5:31:30 PM EDT
I ended up behind the rifle for a few hours today and just noticed something new. Maybe I've just never paid attention to it before. After awhile, after the rifle got real hot, my dominant eye had this strange feeling, like a chemical was in the air and bothering my eyes. It's not strong enough to be called a burning but definitely an irritant causing my eye to water a little. It felt as if I was in an enclosed environment that had an open bottle of some type of chemical in it evaporated into the air. Like a soft stinging. Is this maybe what gas blowback is on a very low level or is it something completely different. Is that normal? I don't think I've ever noticed it before.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you wearing your shooting glasses?  

If it becomes a problem for you, there is a fat charging handle available that will prevent the gasses from escaping and hitting you in the face... I believe PRI manufactures it...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I am useing glasses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a $89.95 solution from a reputable distributor... PRI M84 Gas Buster AR-15 Charging Handle with Military Big Latch

After awhile, after the rifle got real hot, my dominant eye had this strange feeling, like a chemical was in the air and bothering my eyes.

When I shoot alot of WOLF ammo, I experience the same...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I just ran a bead of black RTV,closed the charging handle , let it cure and home made gas buster.I'm cheap,but no more gas in the face.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my GasBuster.  With how much I spend on my AR, to me it is worth it.

My Colt used to spit gas back big time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I know what the PRI gas buster is but I thought it was primarily for suppressed and full auto rifles. So if I'm understanding this correctly this is what gas blowback is then correct? So how exactly does the gas buster then work?

Mrrick, how is it you used the black RTV to make your own?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought gas blowback was the system used on the AR to make it semi-auto. The gas follows the bullet down the barrel and gas into the gas tube at the end. Then comes back and pushes the fired shell out and causes the bolt to put a live round in.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought gas blowback was the system used on the AR to make it semi-auto. The gas follows the bullet down the barrel and gas into the gas tube at the end. Then comes back and pushes the fired shell out and causes the bolt to put a live round in.

Your a bit confused... What you have described is "gas operated"...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]
[clueless]I have no idea if this is at all related...but I may be experiencing the same with my AR-15.  Will the gas smell?  Or am I just smelling the powder of my Lake City ammo.  It is somewhat offensive.[/clueless]

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just ran a bead of black RTV,closed the charging handle , let it cure and home made gas buster.I'm cheap,but no more gas in the face.

got pics of the finishes product?  I'm a southpaw, so the gas buster is a no go.. it vents on the right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#11]
OK, so what is gas blow back and how does it work? And how does the gas buster work to solve it? I thought maybe it was gas blowback but then maybe it's just the oil burning off or something off the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OK, so what is gas blow back and how does it work? And how does the gas buster work to solve it? I thought maybe it was gas blowback but then maybe it's just the oil burning off or something off the ammo.

Here is my interpretation, perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Gas "blow back" is nothing more than excess gas which is vented during the cycling of the action on the AR.  This vented gas escapes around the back of the charge handle.  It is literally gas blown into your face from the upper receiver.  A lot of folks who "press the nose to the charge handle" when firing can experience gas blow back as their face is right there when the gas vents.

I have no experience w/ the PRI Gas Buster but would assume there is some sort of extra metal on the charge handle which prevents the gases from coming straight back into you face.

When firing the weapon, gas blow back will feel like a puff of air hitting your face.  If you aren't wearing eye protection, it will irritate your eyes just as any puff of air or gas to your eye would.  Now since we're not dealing w/ plain old air here, we're talking about gases of a chemical nature released after your powder has burned- it may cause irritation to you eye when the blow back hits the unprotected pupil.

If you are wearing eye protection when shooting and the area you are in is not properly ventilated such as indoors or if no wind is present, the gases hanging in the air may irritate your eyes.  I routinely smell ammonia(?) when shooting my ARs which, much like steaming gut piles in the morning, makes my nipples hard!

HTH

Sly
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top