Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2010 8:58:01 AM EDT
I plan to follow a non-chromed lined barrel manufacturer's break in advice, whether of dubious value or not. They recommend a succession of 20 shots with copper removal cleaning solvent used between shots.
Searching products showed some highly rated ones contain ammonia and caution against it's use near aluminum. What is best for an AR?  
TIA
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Hoppe's Copper Solvent for my ARs (and everything else). I dunno if it contains ammonia or not, but it works well enough.

Sweet's 7.62 was what I used when I had a precision rifle (Savage 110FP). It does contain ammonia. If you're worried about using such a product in proximity to aluminum (like AR receivers), get a rod guide for the upper. It will contain excess solvent. Also, you could clean the upper with the muzzle pointed down.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tips.
If the Hoppe's doesn't affect the aluminum I would think it doesn't have ammonia.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Breakfree bore cleaning foam is a mild copper solvent that's rated for use with gas systems. I've used it to clean ARs with no problems.

Takes off carbon great too.

BWS
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
KG12
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The best bore cleaner I've found is Bore TEC eliminator.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had great luck with Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner myself. Not sure if it has Ammonia or not but it has never harmed anything I've put it on and I've used it on a lot of parts that aren't the bore, such as my bolt, which are aluminum unless I'm mistaken.

Linky: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=474487

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions. I have several products to consider.
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If I'm not mistaken the Breakfree Foaming Bore Cleaner is an ammonia based cleaner.  And FYI I think the Breakfree foaming bore cleaner has been discontinued however the Gunslick brand is the exact same thing.  I believe the Breakfree brand is just the repackaged Gunslick version.  Read that on Arfcomm months ago.

I do believe that KG12 is now the top dog in copper removal with M-Pro 7 Copper Bore Cleaner not far behind.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken the Breakfree Foaming Bore Cleaner is an ammonia based cleaner.  And FYI I think the Breakfree foaming bore cleaner has been discontinued however the Gunslick brand is the exact same thing.  I believe the Breakfree brand is just the repackaged Gunslick version.  Read that on Arfcomm months ago.
I do believe that KG12 is now the top dog in copper removal with M-Pro 7 Copper Bore Cleaner not far behind.

Originally Posted By http://www.cabelas.com/p-0065962229729a.shtml:

• Simply spray, wait and remove

• Cleans copper and powder fouling

• Contains no ammonia

I'm guessing they must be different cleaners if Breakfree's was Ammonia based.

Link Posted: 7/29/2010 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By http://www.cabelas.com/p-0065962229729a.shtml:
  • Simply spray, wait and remove
  • Cleans copper and powder fouling
  • Contains no ammonia
I'm guessing they must be different cleaners if Breakfree's was Ammonia based.

Well that's good to know.  I read this on another site review about the BreakFree version:

Model BF-BCF
Bore Cleaning Foam

Non-toxic and odorless, Bore Cleaning Foam chemically removes copper and brass compounds from the barrel in 15 minutes, and leaves a protective film behind to impede the accumulation of residue.

Bore Cleaning Foam has a pH value of 12 and can be used between the temperatures of -22° and 122°F. Packaged in an aerosol can, Bore Cleaning Foam is easier to use than other ammonia-based products. In addition, this cleaner also removes normal combustion waste from your gun's barrel, eliminating the need for a second cleaner.

The Blue highlighted made me think the BreakFree was ammonia based but just easier to use than other ammonia based formulas.

So either they are not the same thing or one or the other has ammonia or not!
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I plan to follow a non-chromed lined barrel manufacturer's break in advice, whether of dubious value or not. They recommend a succession of 20 shots with copper removal cleaning solvent used between shots.
Searching products showed some highly rated ones contain ammonia and caution against it's use near aluminum. What is best for an AR?  
TIA

I like to use Birchwood Casey's "Bore Scrubber" on my non-chromed barrel.

Impala

Link Posted: 7/30/2010 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
If you don't let it sit more than 5mins IT WONT hurt a chrome lined barrel period.

most copper remover has ammonia

AMMONIA based  copper cleaners CAN HURT CHROME if left in a long time!!   not a AR15 rec

BTW
MIDWAY has Bore FOAM that cleans copper with 0 ammonia

I bought more Break free again  along witha Bore Foam by GS

UPDATE

used GUN SLICK FOAM  COPPER remover

I will stick with  CLP & non chlor Brake Cleaner

Bore Foam  is waste on chrome lined M4
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If Break Free Bore Cleaning Foam has been discontinued, I must have one of the last ones.
Got it Friday, August 20, '10.

I says "Non-Toxic" but, also "Avoid contact with plastic and wood parts of gun"
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I just glanced at the Break Free Bore Cleaner MSDS, I see no ammonia in it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I guess not as many KG12 users out there, but that link is very compelling for KG12...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
KG12

This. My only issue is you cant see te copper coming out since its not blue. But it definitely comes out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for Bore Tech Eliminator. It works VERY well on copper and other barrel fouling, it is odor free, biodegradable, and non hazardous. In other words, you get something that works extremely well, and you don't have to be concerned with it harming your firearm, you, or something else.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top