Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 2:38:31 AM EDT
Cdnn is selling a bunch of parts labeled as "colt competition". The price suggests low end stuff. Is this colts out sourced bargain line, or what?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Read here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/03/robert-farago/colt-competition-goes-business-first-many/
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Read here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/03/robert-farago/colt-competition-goes-business-first-many/
View Quote
Wow. So they had nothing to do with Colt except licensed use of the name. I'm surprised colt allowed that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wow. So they had nothing to do with Colt except licensed use of the name. I'm surprised colt allowed that.
View Quote
That is not uncommon these days for Colt. Even their new M16A1 Reissue is being made by US Ordnance in Nevada. No one is really sure how much of this one is really Colt parts or just repro.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cdnn is selling a bunch of parts labeled as "colt competition". The price suggests low end stuff. Is this colts out sourced bargain line, or what?
View Quote

Not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
try buying a "Colt" knife for example. many are junk chinese-made with a Colt emblem.

for example: https://www.smkw.com/brands/colt
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not worth it.
View Quote
Not so sure that's true.  The town of Breckenridge, TX is about 40 miles from me, and I heard many good things about the quality of their product.  You'll notice the comments in the TAG article even reports the guns to be very good.  That fits with what I've heard from customers around here.  I have not owned one of their products.  

CDNN is a huge internet gun and accessory company that is located in my town, Abilene.  They buy huge lots of closeout guns, accessories, parts, etc. from businesses and manufacturers that have overstock or are going out of business.  In their inventory you can find everything from crap to cream at usually excellent prices.  I know the owner and some of the employees.  He's made a successful business of buying in quantity at a discount and then selling at a discount.

I'm sure CDNN was aware of Colt Competition's plight as they're just down the road.  The TAG article indicated that "no one would touch them" in regards to being able to purchase all of their inventory.  I know the owner of CDNN...apparently he got it done, and that doesn't surprise me.

I've looked at those sales items that the OP is referencing to.  Personally I don't see anything I'm interested in, but that's because I have most of my AR platform bases covered already.  I don't really think quality is a problem with these products from this now defunct company.  They went out of business because of the flooded market and maybe poor decisions as to manufacturing numbers.  They probably won't be the last in this over-populated market.  

Normally buying parts from a company that has gone out of business is not recommended.  However, since these are all basically milspec level parts, fitment won't be an issue.  And, if you have a defective part, CDNN is pretty darned reliable about replacement or refund.  I would recommend using caution and carefully read the description of some of the assembled components in the Colt Competition sale.  CDNN will not claim a Colt Competition barrel in a given upper assembly if the barrel is not actually a CC barrel.  I would call by phone just to insure the exact brand handguard and barrel you're getting if the written description is not clear.  You'll notice in the email adds that no CC barrels are listed in the 5.56 or .308 CC parts sale.  In fact the wording clearly states that it is a parts sale...upper and lower receivers, some handguards, fire control groups, etc.  I get the impression that they don't have CC barrels from this buyout...or...maybe there is a legal issue about selling a complete CC gun in the tax problem that CC found itself in.

Based on the background of the quality of the CC guns, I'd bet every actual CC component is at least mid-tier quality or better.  In today's market one has a ton of options at great prices, so buy wisely.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not worth it.
View Quote
IDK, they have a M4 Upper for 190, and I've heard good stuff from them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not worth it. in my opinion.
View Quote
Fixed it.^^^

There is a reason that a "Colt ms receiver extension" is now magically  $15.
Or a " Colt  fcg" is $20.

And a "Colt upper" is under $200.

Rebranded, cheap influx, non standard (non CLd bbls) components. (Same bbls as most Expanse).

To each their own. Fwiw, I had an Expanse bbl for a bit, 1-7/ no CL, it shot great.

CDNN is an investment company, buy it cheap and flip it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Surprised "Colt allowed that?" What, you mean licensing a product to make money? I don't see how that should be surprising.

A lot of companies have licensed their names/logos for .22's and airsoft stuff. It's all green.

http://www.waltherarms.com/tactical-rimfire-replicas/#
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#10]
What do the markings on this barrel meen?
https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-upper-assembly-a3-m4-556-1-7.html#.WU3d5hnn_bU

"C P" is the c for colt? It doesn't say it's chromed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What do the markings on this barrel meen?
https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-upper-assembly-a3-m4-556-1-7.html#.WU3d5hnn_bU

"C P" is the c for colt? It doesn't say it's chromed.
View Quote
This is probably indicative of what I mentioned earlier.  I'd almost guarantee that is not a Colt barrel because if it was, CDNN would proudly proclaim that fact.  CDNN gets components from all over the place.  Some of them are high tier and some of them are fairly bargain level.  I have never seen CDNN lie about the components in something, like say an AR15 upper assembly, but I highly suggest you read the component description in a low priced upper assembly carefully.  It could be composed of a bunch of different level quality parts.  Nothing wrong with that as long as you pay attention to get what you want for the price.  The staff at CDNN will answer your questions truthfully in all of my experiences, so if you have questions give them a call.

Honestly...I do not work for CDNN and do not get discounts from them.  I'm just passing on suggestions when buying some of their assembled units, especially as it pertains to AR platforms.  On the other hand, they sell a whole lot more complete guns from entry level to high end Barret, Steyr, etc., etc.  Just buy wisely.  My first foray into the AR platform was with AR10's instead of AR15's.  CDNN bought out all the on-hand inventory of Armalite AR10's right about the time Armalite was transitioning more to the SR25 magazine models.  Apparently Armalite had an overload of M14 magazine B-model AR10's and sold a ton of them to CDNN.  I bought two....308 and 243...at nearly a 50% price sale.  While Armalite still offers the B-model AR10, this is what CDNN does for a good part of its market when it buys overstocked guns and parts.  It's a pretty neat deal actually.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top