Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 3:19:18 PM EDT
Somewhere I read that you can only shoot 80Grain projectiles out of a throated match barrel. So what is a throated barrel? I thought all AR barrels were the same as far as throats (yes I know ,223 and 5,56 the 2 are different sizes)

Didn't somebody say that the SF were using 80 grain bullets out of a standard M4? If so how can they if they are not throated barrels?

I'm confused
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
ammoman. "80 grain match ammo. do not buy unless you have a throated match gun."

i'd assume my 1/7 will stabilize, but a 5.56 ain;t match as far as i knowzick.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone can probably explain better than I but here goes.

The chamber of the barrel is slightly longer than normal allowing ammo with slightly longer OAL (overall length) to seat properly.

Ammo with 80 grain bullets tends to be slightly more OAL hence the requirement for a throated chamber.

If you don't have a  match rifle with this modification, the round will not fully seat in the chamber.  Your rifle will prbably jam and fail to feed/fire who knows what.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Non-chrome lined.

As per Troy---"Go chrome or go home"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top