Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2005 8:04:16 PM EDT
Ok, I had an issue with a carbine stock castle nut that liked to work itself loose some time ago so I used some Blue Loctite on it and it solved the probelm.

the problem now is I am trying to remove the stock and the castle nut is on there so tight that it wo't budge on the tube, but the tube started to roatte in the lower.  Having already buggered one tube in the past from this problem, I need to find a solvent that will break the blue loctite bond, or at least weaken it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought heat was the universal solvent for loctite?  Or did you already try that route?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
From their websight:

How can I remove Loctite Threadlockers?

Blue:  Can be removed with hand tools
Red:  Apply heat to remove
Green:   Apply heat to remove

It wont take much to get the nut hot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Mineral spirits + A foot braced on the buttstock + brute force x 3 = success!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Dawg
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
  try a hair drier held close
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
locktite primer will defeat blue locktite but only for couple of minutes. spray liberal coat and use wrench. by the way it's supposed to be hard  to remove.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
a little heat has always done the job for me and if its something that can stand up to a little beating i just he-man it off
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Heat is your friend.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Heat, yes. and judicious use of hand tools.

Did I tell you about the guy who used a propane torch on his FSB and melted the M4 handguards in the process?  oops.

Sight alignment and trigger control is the thing.

Rick
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top