Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2005 12:04:41 PM EDT
I am setting up an AR10 carbine upper and I have an Eotech for it but I thought a low power variable scope would be a nice sight if it were on quick detach rings. I would use the EOtech most of the time but when I wanted to shoot further out I could slap the scope on there. What is a good scope in this price range and will quick detach rings like the one Leapold makes for the weaver rail retain a good zero. Thanks in advance.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:45:14 PM EDT
Various Leupys would fit that bill...you could get a Burris Fullfield II in that range for about $200. I've been looking at one of those...I've had a Fullfield II before, the glass is nice clear.

The Sample list had a couple of Accupoints for $399...one of them got sold, but the other was still available last week before I went out of town. That would be a great buy if they still had it.

Bear in mind that Accupoints have a $50 mail in rebate...so, depending where you shop, you could find one new for under $500 after the rebate. The Accupoint is a very nice scope, BUT...if you go the LaRue mount route, you're looking at another $200+ for the mount.

There is a much cheaper alternative, to that...get an ARMS #38 EX used in the EE...they appear fairly often, or get one of the YHM riser/extenders for it for $35. The LaRue is by far the best option of the 3, but also the most expensive.

I'd snag the Accupoint, and grab one of the risers/extenders 'til I could pony up the $$ for the LaRue down the road if you go the accupoint route.

There was a Leupy Vari X III in the EE that someone had painted camo, and the guy had it priced at some absurd price...$160, iirc, but it only lasted an hour.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:28:10 PM EDT
I'd recommend a LaRue SPR mount, Armalite one-piece mount or Warne QR rings (In that order).

The Leupold QR rings are almost impossible to mount on a scope without scratching the tube. Also, the 2 sets I've used had casting voids in the base area . I've since switched to Warne for all of my QR rings and have no regrets. They hold zero on my .308 stick and my 45-70 guidegun. Also, they are a vertically split rings which really makes scope positioning and alignment much easier.

There are several scopes available in the 1.5-5x power range. It really depends on what reticle you want and what you are willing to pay. (With optics, you do get what you pay for.) A few are (low price to high price): Simmons ProDiamond Master, Weaver Classic Shotgun, Weaver GrandSlam, Meopta Meostar, Leupold VX III, Burris Xtreme Tactical, Leupold Mark IV MR/T M2, Kahles, Swarovski PV-I, Zeiss, and Schmidt & Bender.

If you can live with a 1-4x power range, you have even more options.

I use an Eotech for stuff out to 100 yards. Beyond that range I switch to an IOR 2.5-10x FFP with illuminated MP-8 reticle.

There are several other threads going on here discussing mid-range optics. Use the search feature, it's your friend .
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:02:07 PM EDT
Thanks guys.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:18:28 PM EDT
Probably the best optics in that price range is the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x36. I have one on my 375 H&H and it is a great scope.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:17:40 PM EDT
Pat

Ive got the Leupold Vari X III 1.5-5 with Illuminated Reticle and love it. Sits in a Armalite 1 piece mount. Have used it on both my 458 Socom and my AR10.

If you want to try it out and see if you like it I can loan it to you, you cover shipping expenses.

Contact me through email if you want to give it a try

Chris
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:51:34 PM EDT
That is a generious offer. Soon I will be moving and may be able to drive back up to fairbanks and just try it on the range. Thanks again though. I am seriously considering the Leapold you mentioned. What type of retical do you have?
Pat
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:08:13 AM EDT
It has the standard crosshairs, nothing fancy

Get a new gig?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:32:12 AM EDT
I got hired at UAA PD. It will be a nice change from the bush.
Pat
Top Top