Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 4:50:09 PM EDT
I assume alum since a magnet wont stick,so why do they say made from extrusion which is the process of forming soft materal so i read.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They are indeed aluminum extrusions. The one I have and the others I've seen have all been very well made.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
Some of the earlier ones (ar10) were made from bar stock but the latest models are made from an aluminum extrusion.

Extruding is a way of forming aluminum and other metals into complex shapes. sometimes it is done to reduce machining time and cost but it also allows items to be made that might otherwise be extremely difficult if not impossible to machine.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrusion

You are correct sir!  If I can extrude to get a specific shape and cut down my milling time its stupid to do it any other way and a waste of time and materials provided it meets the specs.
Its a fact!  Unless you just enjoy paying out of this world prices.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some of the earlier ones (ar10) were made from bar stock but the latest models are made from an aluminum extrusion.

Extruding is a way of forming aluminum and other metals into complex shapes. sometimes it is done to reduce machining time and cost but it also allows items to be made that might otherwise be extremely difficult if not impossible to machine.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrusion

You are correct sir!  If I can extrude to get a specific shape and cut down my milling time its stupid to do it any other way and a waste of time and materials provided it meets the specs.
Its a fact!  Unless you just enjoy paying out of this world prices.

Nothing wrong with extrusions. They will do the job and are one reason rails are affordable (along with thousands of other items). Some of the shapes they can make are nothing short of amazing and would be almost impossible to make using conventional cutting machines. When I got out of machinist school I interviewed at a shop that made dies for extrusions and some of the samples are quite interesting. I didn’t take that job as they just wanted a lathe monkey to turn parts for the next 20 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top