Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 6:59:40 PM EDT
I know there's a lot of industry knowledgeable folks here.  Might they share their speculation or actual knowledge of what the firearm industry might be considering as preparation for a Sept '04 Ban death?

Would a sharp business mind think it a too great a risk to dedicate resources to anticipated pent-up demand suddenly materializing.  Or would the industry savvy consider the possible return on having the goods available the very next day too large a payoff to miss, regardless of the risk?

How are these numbers crunched anyway?  It's been ten years, for crying out loud.

Is it too early for a business to make the decision, or would they be already behind if they're considering new manufacturing, etc.?

I know I'll be picking up the phone the next day -- hangover be damned!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Expect to see a run on collapsable stocks. There's going to be a zillion pinned stocks getting unpinned.

Probably going to be a run on threaded barrels with the bayonet lug and there will be a great demand for replacement front sight towers with the bayoney lug intact.

There will also be a run on flash suppressors and there's be a lot of barrels getting unsoldered and unpinned.

Mag prices for regular mags will drop while formerly unavailable mags, like the new HK mags will go for scalpers prices.

There will be a stampede for Hi-Cap mags for pistols like the Glocks and the double stack .45's. There will also be a stampede for hi-cap Ceiner AR-15 .22LR mags.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Jack shit in some cases...
I asked BM about "just-in-case" pre-orders and the rep told me that they had no such deal. I then suggested that he might want to pass along the suggestion to overproduce/stock collapsable stocks & uppers for the possible good news. He replied that they weren't going to do anything unless/until the guys upstairs had something to say about it, and that wasn't going to happen unless/until there were tangible or official legislative results to justify a change.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#3]
While I hate to rain on any parade, I doubt the ban will sunset.  Our congress-critters have no spine and when the Dems start whining, right before an election, the rest will cave.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While I hate to rain on any parade, I doubt the ban will sunset.  Our congress-critters have no spine and when the Dems start whining, right before an election, the rest will cave.
View Quote

I think the fact that it is an election year is the one reason that *nobody* wants it to come up. I believe the ban will sunset, but be followed woth something comparable or tougher in the future when the dems have more control in the house and senate.

Is anybody buying preban uppers and stocks for their postban lowers in anticipation of a sunset?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there's much that many manufacturers have to do to "ramp up" for the ban sunset. I mean, anybody producing LEO mags or weapons has the capability right there; all they've gotta do is NOT stamp the restricted markings on the item in question. And despite what their corporate mouthpieces might say, I bet most companies will start upping their production capacity and/or inventory on "evil" featured items next year, if it looks like the political winds will blow in our favor.

Koke:
It's in my budget to acquire some Evil Feature items in the first quarter of '04, in hopes of "beating the crowd" in anticipation of the ban sunset. My Sept. 14, 2004 will be spent assembling the correct parts onto my ARs, after I drop off my Saiga-12 for conversion to pistol-grip format. My post-September budget will be for buying mags. :-)

Assuming I'm reading the law correctly, if the new ban introduced in the House passes,  all currently possessed "assault" weapons will be grandfathered. There will be no distinction made between my post-94 ARs and pre-94 ARs, as both will meet the NEW 2004 definition of "assault weapon". Thus I can still go back and legally put "evil" features on my post-94 (ie pre-04 ban) weapons.

It's only if the Senate bill passes that my stash of "evil" parts will be rendered useless. Unfortunately, of the two, the Senate version (which is generally considered "tamer") stands the best chance of becoming law. Admittedly it's a small chance, but we need to keep the pressure on to see that it doesn't.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Assuming I'm reading the law correctly, if the new ban introduced in the House passes,  all currently possessed "assault" weapons will be grandfathered. There will be no distinction made between my post-94 ARs and pre-94 ARs, as both will meet the NEW 2004 definition of "assault weapon". Thus I can still go back and legally put "evil" features on my post-94 (ie pre-04 ban) weapons.

View Quote

You read that right BUT I can tell you don't want either version to pass. Neither do I. Keep pressuring the White House.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
What about having the ban sunset you your stock of post pan rifles uppers etc.  Seems to me that would make them hard to move.  I bet as the date draws near everyones stock will dry up because they don't want to be stuck with a bunch of stuff no one wants.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I posted this in the legal section.  I got some great responses, but (no offense to anyone who posted) never quite got my answer.  I've since bought the rifle, but the question remains.  For clarification, I do not own a preban:  (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=189534)

-----------------------------------------------
I am going to buy a Bushmaster 16" A3. I want a pinned collapsable style stock but it is cheaper to buy that separately and change out the buttstock.

Question: If I bought the rifle, could I also purchase a collapsable M4-style stock if I do not own a preban rifle and have them located in the same dwelling? The idea is that I would have it and when (optimistic) the AWB sunsets, I could install it on the rifle, rather than buying a pinned one now. I foresee it being difficult to get that style stock if the ban sunsets because of the demand. If it is illegal, that solves my dilemma.
------------------------------------------------

I'm not trying to hijack your post, but I would like to find an answer to the question.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bushmaster and other AR vendors are currently running flat-out right now.  They have no excess capacity.  HOWEVER, once the ban sunsets, they will likely make FEWER configurations, since no one is going to want a plain-muzzled barrel (except on the target guns).  Having to stock pre- and post-ban versions of everything is MORE difficult than doing all pre-bans.

-Troy
View Quote

Don't forget us poor ole folks in NY that won't benefit from the sunset unless they change the laws to follow the Federal law. I'm not sure how they will keep track of this...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Or New Jersey or Maryland.......

CRC
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top